Chapter 5

I didn't want to look at him. I didn't want to talk to anyone. What I really wanted to do was run up to my room and cry. But, I didn't. I could do that sometime when I was alone.

"Mikey, I really just want to be alone right now." I said so quietly I didn't think he heard me.

"Brooke, Dean on the phone." Yeah, right. What kind of sick joke was that?

"Michael, that's not funny." I said.

"He is in port now so they can refuel the ship. He got internet to call you. He's already talked to his family ."

I jumped up and ran over to him. "Seriously!?" I yelled in excitement. "You're not kidding!?"

"Well, it's actually skype, not the phone but I guess those are kind-" I ignored him and ran to the kitchen. "Alrighty then." I heard him mutter.

There, on the kitchen table was the computer that he was skyping with, talking to the boys. When he saw me in the background, he stopped talking, smiling at me. I put my hand over my mouth in shock. I couldn't believe it! I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. He grinned. The boys got off the chairs infront of the screen so he could see me better. Ashton came up behind me and pushed my back a little bit hinting for me to sit down. I mindlessly up to the chair and sat down. He looked at me. "D." I whispered smiling like an idiot. "D" was his nickname I used for him ever since we were kids.

"Hey B, how you doing?" He grinned.

"Good." I replied, smiling.

I noticed that the boys left the room but what I didn't know is that they were in the room listning to the conversation. We talked for a few minutes about his work, his new friends, about moving, about my parents, about the crash, and about the boys. I even showed him the gash on my side and told him how I had to get it restitched.

"So, are you getting along with all the boys there?" He asked.

"Well.. I am now. I like them all I guess, they're fine. When I first met then and pulled open my side, Calum tried to lift my shirt over my stitches so they could see it better and I smacked him in his face. I feel so bad still." I said.

"Oh my God!" Dean said laughing. "That's my girl! Just like I taught you" I nodded, smiling. "I see you still got the American accent. Haven't really picked up any accent have you?" He joked. I shook my head and told him no. We talked, laughed, and I never wanted it to end. I knew it had too though.

"Brookie, I want to talk to you forever, but I have to go. I'm in port but I still have to work" He said sadly.

"It's fine! I understand. I'm just really happy to talk to you." I said. "Um, I know this is probably a bad question, but when do you think you'll be home again?" Then I remembered something. I wasn't in the States anymore. When he would go home, I wouldn't be there. "Yeah, never mind." I whispered. I felt tears but I blinked them back.

"It will probably be another six months" he said. All the tears I had been helding in since we started skyping involuntarily came out. I covered my face in my hands. "Oh, please don't cry." I tried to stop but couldn't. I felt soothingly rub my back. I looked at the back. It was Ashton.

"I can't have this be my home without you D." I sobbed looking at him through the computer screen. "I can't do it, I just can't. I can't. I need you here. I want to go home. "

"Yes, you can. I'll help you. I'll always be here for you. You can do this. I know this is a really hard time." I nodded.

"I miss and love you."

"I love you more."

"Bye B."

"See you, D." Then, the call ended. I turned into Ashton who was still standing there. I cried into his chest. He securely wrapped his arms around me. I felt awful. Six months is when he would be back in Florida, but who knew how long it would be until we could spend time together?

"I need my brother." I thought. I looked up at Ashton. "Where's Mikey?" I choked out.

"Uh. I think he and the other boys went somewhere, though I'm not sure where they went. " he said. That's not surprising. Leaving me is what he's good at. "He'll be back soon. Don't worry though, I'm here. I won't go anywhere without telling you." I looked up at him.

"Swear?"

"Swear."

"Wanna do something fun?" He asked excitedly. He looked like a little puppy. I shrugged.

"Let's go swimming!" He screeched at the top of his lungs. I agreed even though really didn't want to, I needed to get my mind of Dean.

I changed into a plain black one- piece and walked back downstairs.. He came running downstairs in his swimsuit. Oh my. How is he single? I immediately chastised myself. He is much older.

-

"Ready?" He yelled down to where I was sitting poolside. I wasn't allowed to swim due to my recent wound. I nodded. He on top of the low part of the roof. He was going to jump into the pool from up there because... Boys are crazy? None of the others were here to yell at him anyways. "I'm too scared, count me off!"

"1,2,3,JUMP!" He jumped off the roof. He hit the cool water, shooting down and soaking me with his splash. I snorted out a laugh and he giggled. He giggled. The grown man giggled. I started to laugh so hard I cried. He was laughing, laughing at my laughing. I grinned at him. He grinned back.

"That was awesome!" I laughed.

"I know!" He screeches back. A couple minutes of floating, enjoying nature and the cool water. Then, he starts a conversation I don't want to have. "Do you miss home?" He questions.

"Uh, I guess. I was teased pretty badly and then Michael left. It felt like my life kinda went downhill from there. I got depressed and Dean kinda became my best friend." I stopped talking for a second but he didn't say anything. "I miss home because it's what I know." I waited for his judgement, it didn't come. Ashton gave me a sympathetic look.

"I'm proud of you." He whispered. "I didn't have a ton of friends either. I felt a bit out of place too, I think I still do. I'm older than the guys here." Along with this honest conversation, I feel an easy friendship with him beginning. It's exciting."I know what it's like to feel like everyone is in on a joke you're not apart of. I understand. If you want someone to talk to about anything, you can talk with me. I'm a good listener, and I won't tell Michael." He said softly.

"Look at us, the weirdos." I said smiling.

"No kidding. Who allows someone to jump off a roof?" He grinned.