Chapter 10

"Let's run away. You and me. Let's just leave." EJ said excitedly. I laughed at him.

We had found this little shop that sells stone statues. In the front was the shop, but when you go around the back there was about 3 acres of land. It was all rocky and grass was growing everywhere and stone statues were crumbling around. There was also run down cars sitting around, a barn too. It was so peaceful and there was really cool things here to explore. We made friends with the guy who owns it, he told us we could come here anytime we want, just not to break anything in the store, and we agreed. Now, it was mine and EJ's place. It was just down the road from the bookstore too. We have come here a couple times already and sometimes we would even bring lunch or books to read. It was amazing and I loved it here.

"I wish we could. We can't just leave you know. We're too young, we have no money." I said laughing.

"When we are 16 then. We can leave." He grinned at me.

"Deal." I said smiling back. We sat ontop of one of the cars, our legs swinging in and out of where the windshield glass used to be. I leaned my head over onto his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around me and put it on my waist.I have a huge crush on him. He knows me better than I know myself sometimes. I took out my phone and took selfies of us. A couple serious, a couple silly.

"Send those to me." He smiled as I nodded and did. I set the silly one as my wallpaper. He jumped off the car and played a song on his phone. He set his phone on the hood of the car on the highest volune.

"May I have this dance my lady?" he bowed.

"You may." I giggled. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he put his hands on my waist. We just danced and laughed without a care in the world.

"I have to go back to America soon. We're having my parents funeral." I said sadly. He pulled me closer and I put my head on his shoulder. "What am I gonna do? I feel like I've just been ignoring what happened, it feels like I'm pretending they didn't exist. I feel guilty."

"I know." He replied. "I think that maybe comparmentalizing has made it so you can deal with little bits of the grief at a time. You don't have to deal with it all at the same time, that's not fair to yourself. " I felt a little less shame in my confession. A couple sprinkles landed my arm. I lifted my head. Rain started falling from the sky. EJ ran and grabbed his phone, shutting off the music. He grabbed my hand laughing and we started to run but I quickly stopped.

"EJ I can't run! What if I slip on the gravel?" I said. He bent down gesturing did me to get on his back do I did. He ran out to the front and turned right to run to the bookstore. It had started pouring and EJ was still running. I was laughing and so was he, both of us soaked. We ran into the store and he collapsed into the door with me on his back. I hopped off and we laughed together, I felt him squeeze my hand. I felt my cheeks grow warm. I wanted to kiss him so bad. But I've never had a boyfriend or been kissed before. I take a step back and push open the door to the bookstore.

"Guys, I'm shutting down soon." His Grandmother was behind the counter, Peaches lounging in his window sill bed like always.

"It's only three in the afternoon Grandma." EJ voice was full of question.

"I know, I'm just not feeling to good so I'm going home. Do you want me to drop you off somewhere?" She smiled at me and I shyly smiled back, evading my eyes.

"Wanna come to my place?" I asked. He agreed. He had never been to my house before or met the boys. I called Mikey and asked him if it was alright, he said that was fine. We climbed into Nancy's car and ten minutes later we pulled into my driveway. EJ had already called his parents, he was going to call them when he needed to be picked up. We got out and ran up to the porch. I put my purse on the porch and ran back out into the downpour, he followed with a questioning look. I picked up a thing of mud, acting like I saw something in it. I walked over and flicked it on his shirt. The mud war started.