2.1 - Like a heartbeat drives you mad

START OF BOOK 2

Cara's Point of View

It's been 7 months since I got back to my house. I finished my year of university and I was home for summer. I don't know if anyone remembers my ex-boyfriend Jake, but he decided to call me. Even though I said I wanted to move on in life and be happy, my heart still belonged only to Nathan. He never bothered calling me or asking me how I was. He was too busy breaking the promise he once made to me. But I still waited for him everyday keeping my trust on the 3 words he told me on my last day with him. I still loved him and I knew it was pathetic. But I could never stop my feelings for Nathan. No matter how much he plans on hurting me.

My phone's vibration pulled me out of my thoughts and I looked at the message ID. Jake

"Hey. Cara, I really miss you. Could we please try again?" It read.

How much would it hurt to go out with him again. And when I thought about it, I was happy when I was with Jake. And I can't keep sulking over Nathan forever. Ugh. I felt pathetic

"Dad's not home. You want to come over?" I texted him back and started getting ready. Angela was visiting her family as well so I was the only one at home, meaning I could have some alone time with Jake. I wasn't really looking forward to this but if it meant that I would stop thinking about Nathan, then I was up for it.

Jake reached shortly and I opened the door for him.

"Wow. You look beautiful." He complimented. I thanked him but the only person I wanted to hear say that to me was god knows where. Cara stop!

We went to the living room and sat on the sofa.

"I heard about you getting kidnapped." He began.

"It's been 7 months Jake" I chuckled.

"I know. But you never told me about it."

"I thought you knew since it was all over the papers."

"I know. But I was still worried love." He said as he stroked my face.

"I'm fine now." I sighed as I pushed his hand away. He frowned at me in return.

"Cara.. You know I still have feelings for you. And I just want us to give it one last try!"

"Jake..." I sighed. But before I could speak he smashed his lips onto mine catching me off guard. I wanted to resist but I couldn't. I hadn't felt so comforted in a long time and I craved it more than ever. I slowly wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer. We were both kissing each other passionately and I was only getting more and more lost in his touch.

But then visions started clouding my mind. Visions of Nathan. Visions of him telling me that he loved me. I felt like I was betraying him, cheating on him.

I instantly pulled away and pushed Jake off me.

"I'm sorry I can't." I panted.

"But Cara-"

"No. You have to leave." I stressed. He looked extremely disappointed and I hated seeing him like this. But if I continued, I would only be leading him on, when I'm clearly in love with someone else.

I walked him to the door and he turned around to look at me.

"Why?" He questioned and I let out a shaky breath.

"I'll tell you when time is right." I told him and he nodded and made his exit. I shut the door and leaned against it before falling onto the floor. I let out the tears that I had kept trapped for 7 months. If only he knew how much I wanted him back.