2.21 - The beginning of the end

The car got into the drive way and he jumped out as fast as he could, running into his father's arms.

His father enveloped him in a tight hug and there was nothing but pride on his face.

"My boy!" He kept repeating as he ruffled his hair. Jess ran into them as they shared a big family hug.

A stray tear rolled down my cheek as I watched them radiate their love for each other. A small part of me was so envious that they shared an emotion that I could not with my family.

"I've done it, father." Nathan said, breaking away.

"And I've never been prouder." His father told him.

Nathan's eyes then caught mine. He smiled before walking over to me.

"Still doubt me?" He asked cheekily. I shook my head before grabbing him by the collar and smashing my lips onto his. His arms wrapped around my waist to bring me closer as he kissed me back with all his heart.

"Never leave me again. My heart cannot take the strain." I whispered as I pulled away.

"Never." He whispered back.

"You are my everything." I told him.

"As are you." He spoke.

We heard a cough from behind to see Jess and their father staring at us.

"Maybe the romantic lines and intimacy can be saved for personal time. It's time to break the second part to Cara!" Jess spoke up.

I noticed Nathan's face tense as he slowly let go off me. We went into the house and walked towards the dining room before sitting around their round table.

"We need you for the second part, Cara." Jess began. "The evidence has been submitted, but a person like Earl Foster can influence anyone with his power. We need to catch him red handed."

"What do you mean?" I questioned as I didn't understand where she was leading me.

Jess took a deep breath before saying the next bit.

"We need you to go back to him." She let out. Nathan shut his eyes tightly before sighing.

"Look, maybe she does not have to do this-" He started but I cut him off.

"No. I will. If it's the only way." I said.

"It's not the only way." He told me.

"You have to go to him. And we need to provoke him to confess or attack. Nathan's agent will bring his back up so we will make sure that no harm will come to you." Jess added and I nodded.

"Cara. There is no need to do this." Harry Sykes spoke, making me quite shocked to be honest. I didn't think he would want to see me safe after what my father did to his family.

"There is every need." I told him.

"You're brave. But this is madness. You're walking into your own death trap." He said.

"If I'm meant to die, I will." I spoke as I stood up and left the room. I walked up to the room that was allotted to me and climbed into my bed.

I wanted to mentally prepare myself for the day I'm meant to challenge my own father. Knowing him, there wasn't a chance I would get out of there in a piece. But I was doing my last favour to Nathan and his family.

Nathan walked into the room soon enough before locking the door behind him.

"And you did that because?" I asked referring to the locking.