3.1 - Secrets

Nathan's point of view

I had just finished some of my private work off and it was time for me to go see my Cara. She has not been herself since the day she lost her father. She pretends to be happy for me but I know deep down she's hurting more than ever. If I could go back and change that day, I would do it. Just for her.

I reached outside her big house before parking my car and getting out. I walked into the house and saw Angela wiping some dust off a table.

"Hello, Angie!" I grinned. We've seemed to have gotten close over the past year as we share the same, dry sense of humour.

"She's upstairs." She told me without even me asking.

"Right. How is she?" I asked.

She sighed before giving me the same answer for the hundredth time.

"She misses him. She stares out of his window everyday, hoping she would see him return. She has even moved into his room, Nath. I'm scared for her." She told me, her voice breaking at the end.

I nodded before climbing the stairs and walking in to her father's room. She was sat by the table with her books thrown everywhere. I think she was trying to study. Her face lit up as she saw me.

"Hello, stranger!" She grinned as she stood up.

"Hello, beautiful." I greeted as I walked over to her and grabbed her by her waist. Her hands found my cheeks as I pulled her in for a kiss.

"Ever thought of knocking?" She asked as we pulled away. I raised my eyebrow causing her lips to form into my favourite smile.

"I could be undressing for all we know." She added.

"Aah. That beautiful sight." I commented.

"You're so disgusting. Always were, always will be." She frowned before giggling. She turned around and started organising her table. I wrapped my arms around her before placing my chin on her shoulders.

"Angela told me you were upset this morning." I spoke as she tensed.

"W-why would she think that?" She stuttered, clearly hiding something.

"Cara-" I began as I turned her around. "Something you're not telling me?"

"I was probably just tired." She ran her hands through her soft hair.

"Okay. But if there is anything, you will tell me right?" I asked and she nodded. "Even if it's about Earl.." I added.

"Nath-" she sighed. "I don't like talking about him. You know that." She was always so patient. So quiet.

"I do. But I want you to know, that I'm here for you. No matter what." I told her as I stroked her cheek.

"I know" She smiled.

"Right. I'm taking you out for dinner then. Be ready in 30. " I announced.

"Nath, no! I'm studying. I have a test." She argued.

"I've heard that 50 million times already. It's just one night."

"I promise, next week. Please!" She pleaded and I had to give in.

"Well actually, next week, my father is hosting this big party at my place and I was wondering if you'd be my date." I asked her cheekily.

"I'd love that." She grinned.

"It's quite a formal one, so we may all have to look good." I added.

"Oh that's going to be hard for you, isn't it?" She joked making me gasp.