2.16 - Sweet Dreams

Nathan's Point of View

I was woken up by the twisting and turning that Cara was doing on the bed. The sun had already set and the room had now become dark. But I didn't have time to concentrate on the time as Cara's behavior was starting to worry me. I tried comforting her by rubbing her arms or back but she wouldn't stop turning around.

She suddenly started mumbling words that I couldn't even start to understand. She would say something and then push my body away from hers repeatedly.

"Daddy please." She spoke in a soft tone, but her fear was evident.

"Daddy." She whined.

"Don't kill him. Please." She said and I decided it was time for me to end her nightmare.

"Cara!" I shook her gently to start off. But she continued to dream.

"Nathan!" She cried in her sleep as she struggled on the bed. It was difficult for me to see her in such distress but I was doing everything to stop it.

"CARA!" I shouted as she jolted up on the bed. She looked around in terror and noticed me before taking a deep breath and placing her head in her hands. I heard her soft sniffles and realised that she was crying. I scooted closer to her and held her in my arms.

"Shh. Sweetie. It was just a dream." I whispered into her ear.

"It felt so real." She replied as she looked up at me.

"But it wasn't." I tried comforting her as I rubbed my arms.

"He was going to kill you Nathan." She sobbed as she leaned into me.

"And that will never happen. I promise." I whispered as I kissed her temple. "Go back to sleep now." I told her as I laid her back down.

"Please don't leave me." She mumbled as I laid with her. I wrapped my arms around her as she did the same and pulled her closer to myself.

"I would never." I whispered as I kissed her soft lips. "Now, go back to sleep, baby. You need to rest." I told her as I kissed her forehead. She nuzzled her head into my neck before falling back into her slumber. I sighed as I held her tightly.

Cara's growing fear was now starting to take over her. She was having nightmares and visions of her father planning to attack her. I realised that all of this would have never happened if I never met her in the first place. If only I had let her live her normal life she wouldn't have to be suffering the loss of her father. But then again, I would have never met the girl who I love so dearly. She is my everything and nobody can change that anymore.

Not even the powerful Earl Foster.

--

Cara's Point of View

I woke up a few hours later with Nathan still by my side as he promised. I leaned up and noticed that he was awake and staring at the ceiling. He noticed me move and looked down at me.

"You're up." He spoke.

"Yeah. Were you awake the whole time?" I asked and he nodded.

"You didn't have to stay. You could have left once I fell asleep." I told him because I figured that he must have been very bored the past hours just laying there and staring at the dark room.

"I wanted to stay." He replied and stroked my face.

"Thank you." I said as I placed my hand over his.

"How's your back?" He asked referring to my wounds.

"The medications are helping. I do not feel it much." I told him as I moved my hand behind slightly to feel it.