AHRW #12

13

Date: First birthday in space.  

Sometimes memories sneak out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks.

First...birthday in space.  I’m sure it was quiet because I don’t think the others really keep track of the days in “Earth time” anymore.  Of course, I tried to drop hints.  I wandered the castle, talking about what an awesome day it was.  Mentioned cake a few times.  Asked Pidge if she had a calendar.

It shouldn’t be that big of a surprise.  But...I was hoping something like that could be a reason for us all to pretend to be normal for a day.  Sure we’d have some weird space goo cake that Hunk managed to make.  And we’d probably have to spend an hour explaining how we celebrate to Corran and Allura, but it would have been fun for a bit.

I didn’t want presents.  I honestly have never been very big on the present part of birthdays.  It’s the celebrating I really like.  Everyone getting together, putting aside their worries and just living life.  That is what makes for a good birthday.

At home, no one’s birthday went by without a huge celebration.  Morning was their favorite breakfast with the family singing to them as they sit down.  Loud music would blast from the radio.  We all danced and sang.  Some of us better than others.  By lunchtime, we were all laughing so much, we barely stopped to eat.  Typically we’d have snacks that Mama cut up and stored in the fridge.  

Birthday dinner at the McClain house was always a riot.  A couple people would always slip away to cook and decorate while the others kept the birthday person occupied.  There would be a huge dinner with all the best food.  Homemade cake then, after dinner, we would go outside and continue the party.

But this year it was tense.  There were no fancy meals.  No laughter throughout the halls.  No sporadic confetti poppers going off as you rounded the corner.  In this castle, a birthday is just another day to be thankful for.

Why is remembering things so painful?  Shouldn’t remembering smiles be easy?  Shouldn’t reminiscing about times of joy make you happy?  

Maybe it’s only hard because I don’t know if I will ever get to go back to that.

I’m tired of only being thankful for another day.  I want to be happy again.

Reason #12 - birthday cake

Story belongs to Elireide @ A03