AHRW #16

I've been doing some math.

That’s what I said.  That’s the easiest way to put it, right?  

What I wanted to say was, I’m the easiest to forget.  The most useless.  How about you guys go out and save the universe while I hide in my room like the child I am?

But you can’t just say that to Keith.

Especially not when he was looking so happy.  Of course he looked happy.  Shiro is back.  

Man, but math?  Did I really have to word it like that?!

I guess it’s hard to be all that logical when there’s so much more on your mind that you want to say.  I thought it was going to be easy to talk to him.  I’d played it over in my head so many times.  

I’d knock, just like he had for all those nights.  Then I’d just walk in and be casual, just like he had been...again.  And then I’d tell him that I was worried.  That I didn’t think I was worthy to be one of the paladins.  That I only ended up here because I’d been trying to outdo him.  I’d whine and tell him I miss the times we’d been spending together at night.  I would be honest with him and tell him I have barely slept since he stopped coming by.

But, just like everything else, I screwed up.

And instead I talked about math.

Man, Lance, could you have made a bigger fool of yourself?  

Why does literally everything make me think of how much I miss being home?  Like, math.  No one misses math, right?  But, helping Allita or Fernán do their homework was fun.  Not necessarily because I enjoyed doing the homework but because of how amazed they would be that I knew how easily to solve “such a hard problem.”  Or getting to watch their faces as they proudly explained how they solved the problem all by themselves .  

Crying is stupid.  No math needed for that.  What’s the point of it?  Just messes up your face, makes your eyes hurt and makes it hard to breathe.  Stupid.  

#22 - Math