XXXIV

When Niall comes out of the bathroom, he finds me holding the new air dry shirt on my lap and sitting on the edge of the bed.

"What's that?" he asks and towel dries his hair a little before walking over to me. He notices and his mind clicks when he realizes what I've found. "Now I can explain, Rose."

"Can you? Niall, you were supposed to be on a break! You always ruin everything!" I clench the shirt tightly and look up at him, I feel tears well up in my eyes.

"Look, Rose..."

"No, I don't need a reason, I really don't. I want you to listen to me, you understand?"

Niall nods slowly, I can tell he wants to yell or punch but hes containing himself.

"You have GOT to stop fighting when you're upset," Niall attempts to speak but I throw my hand up to sush him. He obliges and I stand, the shirt still clinched in my hand, "I understand that you've been hurt in the past, but my God, would you take it out like a normal person? Jesus, Niall, some people paint when they're upset."

"You know that's not me," Niall says gruffly, his arms are crossed over his bare chest defensively.

"I'm not going to keep coming back to you if you keep doing this sort of thing, fighting and getting drunk every single time you're upset."

"Hey, I don't smoke pot anymore because of you," he points his finger at me and I fight the urge to bite it and leave the room.

"And thank God you don't! With your condition you'd be dead. Dead, Niall. If you would have kept going the way you are, I have no doubt in my mind you would be!"

"That's quite a bit extreme, Rose," Niall says boredly. 

"Well I still wouldnt doubt it. Now for Pete's sake," I throw the shirt at him, "wash the shirt and fucking quit fighting people and getting drunk every damn time you're angry."

I stomp out of the bedroom and over to one of the couches. I flop down and groan into a pillow. Eventually I hear the washing machine start and feel a blanket of relief wash over me. Maybe he will listen to me...eventually.

~

A while later I have showered and changed into pajamas, waiting in bed with the covers pulled back for a fight. Niall hasn't spoken a word to me since I blew up on him so I know he will be upset and will blow up on me sooner or later.

I have my arms crossed over my chest and see Niall exit the bathroom and walk straight over to the closet. I watch him throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt before I speak up.

"What are you doing?"

Ignored.

"Niall?"

Silence.

"Niall, please don't go out and get drunk."

"You think every time I plan to go out I intend on drinking don't you?"

"Because I know you well enough to know what you're planning to do," I respond and leave the bed and cross over to him. I put my hands on his shoulders and try to stop him from putting on a jacket.

"Rose, let go of me," he says shrugging me off and still sliding his jacket on.

I sigh slowly and grab onto a leather jacket arm, "just don't get hurt, okay?" Niall watches me a minute and I see a faint smile.

"I won't."

I offer a genuine smile and let go of him. As he walks out of the room I hear him slip on his shoes, "you'd better not."