But Then You Came Along

Title: But Then You Came Along
Requested? No.
Plot: Imagine you and Damon falling in love after you help him get through the fact Elena was under Kai’s spell and he feels a little guilty and he talks to Stefan about it, not knowing you are listening.
Warnings: None.
Word count: 1910

—***—

Damon raised yet another glass of bourbon to his lips, tilting it and letting the liquid burn his throat. He had already forgotten which glass that one was, but by the looks of an almost empty bottle on the table, it was not a small number. His mind was racing all day, so many thoughts trying to get through at once. He thought about his past, his present and his future, all compressed in one.

It has been about four years since Kai used a spell to link Elena to Bonnie and told everyone the shocking news, about how Elena was going to be asleep until Bonnie dies. With the fact that Enzo and Bonnie were a thing now, Damon knew Enzo would do anything to make sure Bonnie stays alive as long as possible. It hurt him that he was unable to be with the love of his life for such a long time. Not even being able to see her eyes.

He would have settled for anything else, even seeing her with another man, but at least knowing she was alright and happy. This way, all he can do is stare at her sleeping figure in a casket, still as beautiful as she was the first time he saw her. He was so angry at his brother for waking him up before the day Elena was supposed to wake up. But then you came into his life, and everything changed.

You had met Damon at a party at the Lockwood mansion. You noticed him outside, sitting on the bench by the fountain. You went and sat down next to him, not really feeling the party. You started a conversation and the rest is history. Well, it has been only a year since that moment, but you had fallen in love with Damon on that exact day, and since then, you and Damon have had something you could call a relationship. You were at the Salvatore’s constantly, helping him get through his pain.

And he helped you when your vampire cousins came to kill you and take your head back to your uncle, who had always hated you, ever since you were born, because you looked so much like your mother, the woman he loved so much, but had to watch as she married his own brother. Through all of that, you got pretty close to Damon and he felt like he finally found someone else, bescides himself, that he can count on.

You also lived by the sentence:”When people see good, they expect good, and I don’t want to live up to anyones expectations.” and even though you were helping him deal with his sorrow, you never revealed your good side completely, out of fear that your kindeness would be taken as a weakness. You got the feeling lately that something was off with Damon. He was not acting as usual, and no matter how much he tried to hide it, you knew something was bothering him. He didn’t give you a kiss as he arrived home, not even a hug, and he always did that.

“I’m just tired, that’s all.” He said and dragged his feet up the stairs to his room.

About an hour later, he told you he was going to the Mystic Grill to have a drink with his brother. He put on his leather jacket, gave you a kiss on the cheek and walked out the door. You figured you would stay to make sure he was home safely before heading back to your house to see how your sister was doing and to spend some time with her.

But a strong force was pulling you towards the door, and no matter how hard you tried to resist it, you find yourself walking towards Mystic Grill. And as soon as you enter, you spot Damon and Stefan at the bar, but as you head over to join them, the topic they were discussing made you stop in your tracks.

“I’m not exactly sure me being with Y/N is such a good idea. After all, there is room for only one woman in my heart and that’s Elena. I feel like Y/N is just a distraction I created for myself to get my mind off of her.”