Chapter 23

*Kaya's POV*

I walked over and sat in one of the chairs and scooted it so it faced the table. I rested my elbow on it and stared at the sunrise. 

The door squeaked open and saw Zayn walking into the room holding a thin packet of paper. He handed it to me. 

"Training day one," he said dramatically. "This is an expression, trickery, and acting class."

That was weird. I wasn't really an actress, but I guessed I could at least try. 

"Okay, your qualification test is simply this," He handed me the paper he was holding. It was all of the lyrics to Rock Me. I looked at him, confused. 

"Okay. I assume you know this song, you being one of the biggest Directioners out there." I shrugged humbly, because it was probably true. "So, I'd like you to recite it like a poem."

I looked at him. 

"Go on," Zayn urged, "Whenever you're ready,"

I took a breath and read the page, trying to use inflection in my voice. Zayn's expression was unfathomable. 

When I finished, he stared at me for a few seconds, just long enough for me to wonder what else he expected me to do.

"Good," he said, nodding his approval of my performance. "Now," He stood up and took the paper from me, highlighting one line on it. "Read that line with expressions that I give you,"

I nodded, assuming he'd tell me if I was doing it wrong. 

The line he had highlighted was, "Why did I ever want to let you go?"

He sat back down at his chair and resumed his contemplating pose. "Confused,"

"Why did I ever want to let you go?"

"Annoyed,"

"Why did I ever want to let you go?"

"Excited,"

"Why did I ever want to let you go!!"

"Scared,"

"Why... did I ever... want to let... you go?"

"Sarcastic,"

"Why did I ever want to let you go?"

"Good," he complimented me. It wasn't too hard once I got the hang of it. 

For the next few hours, Zayn coached me through all of the acting exercises he had planned.

I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. 

I think I did.