Chapter 24

*Eleanor's POV*

After taking Kaya and me around the corner, Louis led Kaya to the first room we came to and closed the door. I noticed that he didn't lock the door. Maybe he was starting to trust us more.

Louis then took me to the room right next to hers and followed me in. He gestured to a chair across from me and I sat down. He pulled from his pocket a few flashcards. 

"I want you to tell me how the horses on these cards are feeling, and if it would be safe to approach them. Got it?"

I nodded. I would be good at this. 

The first one was a picture of a black stallion, its ears punned back and its eyes staring. 

"No way should you approach that one. It's scared and angry," I told him. He nodded expressionlessly. 

The next card he held up had a gray Arabian horse on it, its eyes squinted and ears back, but not flat against its head.

"It's relaxed. You could approach it, I guess," I said. He nodded. 

The rest of the cards were similar, its ears and eyes sending different messages. At the beginning it was fun, but after about 25 cards, it started to get old. Sort of like school. 

When he finished with all of the cards, he tapped them on the table to straighten them and smiled at me. I was pretty sure that was the first time he had smiled in the past day. 

I asked him why we were doing this, but he wouldn't tell me. 

"Not yet," he said.