Falling Through

Shawn's POV: 

Gus stays at psych, while I go with Jules to the police department. We look for similar cases, we frown at the number of murdered kids. We narrow our search down to the murder of both or one of two siblings. Bingo. There's ten results. The oldest case is mine, the newest is Derek and Kyle. We look at the the ones in between.

The second event happened five years after the attack on Jake and me. This one involved two twins. Their parents left them home alone while they went on a date. They were each killed from a stab wound to the abdomen. The third attack was on a brother and a sister. The boy was was killed, he was nine. The seven year-old girl survived. Once again, both were stabbed in the abdomen. The forth attack was on a set of twin brothers. Both died from a stab wound to the stomach. The fifth case involved a nine year old girl and seven year old boy. The boy survived, the girl did not. The sixth case had two sisters. One was eight and the other was six. The younger one survived. The seventh attack was on a twin brother and sister. They both died from stab wounds to the abdomen. The eighth attack was on a nine year old boy and his seven year old sister. The boy survived,the girl did not. The ninth case involved a set of twin girls, both killed. I sigh at the cases. They are definetely related. The cheif calls us into her office along with Lassie. Jules and I bring all ten files, including mine. 

"You got anything for me?" she asks. We set the files on her desk.

"All ten cases involve two siblings. In every case, both children were stabbed in the abdomen. If the siblings were twins, they both died. All the others are siblings are two years apart. The older one dies while the younger one lives. The years stretch up to alomst thirty years, but they are all connected, I feel it," I inform everyone. Vick looks at me with a look of disbelief on her face she then looks through the files starting with the most recent ones.

"None of the parents were killed, or even injured, up until Derek and Kyle," I continue.

"Then how do you know they're connected?" asks Lassie.

"Everything else lines up!"

"The genders and races vary," arugues Lassie.

"But, none of the victims are in the double digits. The oldest was nine and the youngest was five. They're all children Lassie!" I argue back.

"You were right Shawn, some of these cases are old," mumbles Vick.

"And, almost all of them describe the man as smelling like smoke and having a mark above his right eye," I say.

"Yeah, almost," replies Lassie.

"You want to know why almost? Because, not every case has a surviver!" I conclude. Lassie is silent. I won, we both know that. I smile in triumph.

"The first victims were Jake and-" she stops and looks up at me, a look of disbelief. I frown and nod. Lassie raises an eyebrow.

"The first victims were Jake, and Shawn Spencer," she finishes. Lassie's mouth falls open. I look at him with a straight face, showing absolutely no emotion.

"You?" asks Lassie. I nod and look away from him.

"How come I never heard of this?" asks Karen.

"It never came up and there was never a reason," I answer. She frowns.

"Alright, you guys are free to go." We all head to the door. "All except you, Mr. Spencer." I let the doors close in front of my face. I already know what this is about.

"You are emotionally invested-"

"Let me stay on the case," I interrupt her. "I owe it to my brother and all of those children. Please, I am begging you. Let me stay on the case, please," I beg. Cheif frowns but nods.