Visits Free

Juliet’s POV:

I look at the clock, it’s five. I finally wrap up all of my paper work. Carlton walks over to me.

“How are you?” he asks me.

“Just fine, thank you.”

“I have a question,” he states.

“Well ask.”

“Is Shawn being a baby, wanting you to do everything?” he asks.

“No, it’s just the opposite. He usually refuses my help and does it himself. And last night-” I drop my head and start to walk away. Carlton grabs my arm, and stands in front of me again.

“What happened last night?” he asks me. I promise to tell him outside. We get to my car, and he leans against the driver’s door.

“Last night, Shawn stopped breathing,” I finally get out. Carlton stares at me wide-eyed.

“Is he alright?” he asks.

“I did CPR, he started breathing again. This morning he seemed to be okay.”

“I hope he knows how lucky he is to have you. Let me guess, he begged you to stay,” Carlton says. I shake my head.

“No, I offered and he said no.” Carlton looks at me wide-eyed.

“Is he doing any better?” he asks.

“A little,” I reply. He stands up.

“I’ll catch you later,” he then walks back into the department. I drive home, wondering if Shawn is okay. When I get home everything seems normal. I unlock the door then walk inside. As I walk up the entry steps I can feel that something is off. The t.v. isn’t on, there is absolutely no sound. I see Shawn, he’s on the ground, unconscious.

“Shawn?” I hurry over to him. I put a hand on his back and shake him. His eyes open slightly. He groans. “Shawn?”

“Yeah?” he says. I sigh. I flip him over to his back, his eyes are screwed shut, and he has his arms wrapped around his midsection.

“What happened?” I ask.

“I felt dizzy, so I was heading to the couch, but I didn’t make it,” he answers. He opens his eyes and looks up at me. Pain is written all over his face.

“What’s wrong?” I ask.

“My ribs and chest hurt,” he answers.

“You ready to sit up?” he nods. I feel bad. He wraps an arm around my shoulders and I wrap both of mine around his back. When he finally sits up he falls against me. He rests his head on my chest. I put a hand on the side of his head and keep the other arm around him. I sit him up then stand up. I lower myself so that he can wrap an arm around my shoulders again. I stand up, bringing him with me. I help him over the couch, where he collapses. I sit next to him.

“You okay?” I ask him. He nods. I notice a box on the dinner table.

“What’s that?” I ask.

“Bring it here. I have some explaining to do.” I go and bring the box to him.

“Okay, so at eleven, I went to York’s funeral. Well not to the actual thing. I got there at the end, the only reason I went was for Mrs. York, who is now Ms. Rickson. Anyways, after that, I went to see Derek. That’s where I got the box. Inside is a Darth Vader and a card that Derek made,” he informs me.

“How was he?” I ask, taking the Darth Vader out of the box.

“Really good,” he replies.

“What about Ms. Rickson?” I ask. He’s quiet.