Breaking free

Dallon's p.o.v

"Dallon?" I groaned in exhaustion as the voice tried to force me out of my slumber. "It's time to get up, I'm afraid."

"Please just five more minutes, Hayley, just five," I begged. "I didn't sleep well last night." I actually don't sleep well any night.

"Don't you think that your mother will want you to be ready in time when she comes to get you?" Hayley pried. I could literally hear the smile in her voice, but at the mention of my mum coming to collect me today was enough for me to bounce out of bed in an instant.

"I'm up!" I declared, a salute placed to my forehead as if I was reporting for duty, making Hayley giggle. I forgot that today was the day I was getting out of here, this mental hospital. I liked it here, I really did. I liked the people here, "my kind" I guess you could say, however I like my home more, and I love my mum too much to stay here. This was what I thought about while I got ready to leave. I packed my things (what little I was allowed- safety reasons) and I noticed how my clothes were quite baggy on me now. The food wasn't really bad, it just wasn't good and I didn't eat a lot of the time.

I thought about how much I was going to miss my friends. Dan, Phil and Melanie were the patients in my section. There were other sections, but I'm only a teenager so I'm in the adolescent section.

As I took my things to the breakfast hall, I realised I was too excited to eat. My mum would be here anytime now! My friends were all really happy that I got to leave. Not because they hate me but because it means I'm getting better, and that's what we all want. To get better. To leave and be "normal" again.

I hugged each of them before wishing them the best, and I had to visit the doctors and nurses for the last time. In my section, there were only two doctors, Dr Kenneth Harris and Dr Breezy Douglas. They were both extremely kind and compassionate for their patients, and I knew they really genuinely wanted us to get better. There were a number of nurses, but my favourite was always Hayley Williams. She always dyed her hair really cool colours, like my best friend Josh did. She was really funny and sweet too. I could tell she enjoyed it here.

As I met Dr Harris, he had somethings to discuss. "Okay, Dallon today is your last day! We'll miss you here, but I'm glad you're leaving." Like I said, you don't take this offensively. Their job is to help you get better so you can leave,  after all! Kenneth's voice brings me back to focus.

"Now you know how the drill works- I will be coming to your house once a week for a three month period. As your mother often goes on week long business trips, I will be visiting you everyday while she's away, to make sure you don't try to self harm or anything... but once I've seen you for thee months, we leave you and just check on you once every month." he smiled warmly. "I'm so proud you're making it out of here in just ten months, Dallon." Just then, Breezy came in.

"Dallon, your mother is here!" She said excitedly. I smiled in anticipation of seeing my mum again. I hadn't got to see her over the ten month period I was in here for. Not because she didn't care- because she's the best mum I could ever have - but because she was away so much for work and they wouldn't let her take time off. I knew how hard she worked to keep a roof over our heads since Dad died, and she couldn't afford to take time off. I think it would break her if she came to visit me anyway. She wouldn't want to see her only son depressed every day, now would she?

I grabbed my bag and ran out the exit, to see her coming through the gates. We ran towards each other, like a couple reuniting in a movie, and embraced like we'd never let go. I felt tears rolling down my cheeks and I could tell mum was crying too.

"Oh, mum, I've missed you!" I cried.

"I've missed you too, Dallon, but we're finally together again. My baby boy is coming home again."

This is chapter one! I hope you like this, I'm going to enjoy writing this :)