Memories part 2

Author's note- so I'm publishing part 2 of memories today! It was meant to be one big chapter but then I accidentally deleted half of the draft somehow so I just published what was left. I probably won't be publishing a lot this week because my school is holding concerts three nights this week and I'm in them so I'll be home late and won't be able to write that late. But here is part 2 for now :)

Dallon's p.o.v.

I am still wearing my glasses, even though I can see perfectly well right now.

But Dr Sivan said my eyes could still get damaged by the light so I'm keeping them on. You can never be too safe!

Brendon also said I look cute with them on, so I guess that's a plus.

We get in Brendon's car, which isn't at all familiar to me, and we drive to the school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We arrive at the building that is my school. Brendon parks the car and we get out. I stare at the building, trying desperately to remember something. Anything.

It should be familiar but it isn't, to my upmost frustration and sorrow. I'm so confused how I can remember events from three years ago which happened in the school, but yet the school isn't familiar to me!

It's like I have déja vu.

"Can you remember anything?" Brendon asks gently. I shake my head.

"No! That's the thing!" I cry, tears running down my cheeks in frustration. "I don't remember anything and I should!"

Brendon wraps me in a bear hug, making me wince in pain but I don't protest. "I know it's hard, Dallon," his whispers. "But we have plenty of time to look around and see if you remember anything, okay? Let's go inside now!"

I follow him through the main entrance, which is unfamiliar to me.

Instead of showing my excitement for remembering, I'm showing curiosity, as if I am seeing it for the first time.

In some ways, I am seeing it for the first time.

Brendon takes me around the school. The canteen, the English and drama department, the music and art department, the physics, biology and chemistry departments, the language departments, the assembly hall, the gym.

Nothing seems familiar.

Brendon takes me to the maths department and he beckons me into a classroom.

"This is where we first met," he smiles at me.

"How did it go down?" I ask.

Brendon's face lights up as he tells me the story.

"I'd found out during my first year of teaching, that you were missing a year of school for unknown reasons. I'd been told in advance that you were supposedly coming back this year again. So I went to school on my first day, excited to see if the mysterious Dallon Weekes would turn up. When you didn't show, I was disappointed. I wanted to meet you so badly! You were only late to our class, though, and you're friend Josh Dun yelled "DALLON!" when you came in. He jumped out of his seat and hugged you and everything." I smile at the sound of Josh doing that. "Everyone was so shocked you actually showed up! Me included. You looked so cute that day, you really did. You're still cute now, but your cuteness struck me that day, Dallon. You're beautiful."

I blush lightly and smile down at him. "That sounds great, Brendon. I just wish I could remember it happening myself."

"Don't worry about it, Dallon. Maybe you will remember it someday."
Brendon says. "Come on, we still have one place left."

I follow Brendon out of the special classroom, and he tells me more stories about how our relationship grew. How I baked him cookies, how he gave me a lift home because my lift didn't show up, how we've been to each other's houses and slept on our sofas, cuddling together. How he overreacted with me when I went to the cinema with Josh. How I told him about being in the mental hospital and how he found out I self harmed. How his parents reacted when they found out he was dating a pupil. How he took me out for dinner the very night before the accident happened.

"Here's the boys locker bays," Brendon says. "I believe your locker is here." He points to the locker at he very end, the one with quite a few dents in it. This confuses me, because I usually treat my property carefully. He adds nervously, "This is where the...accident happened." By the way Brendon says it, it seems like he thinks it wasn't an accident.

"Do you know what happened?" I ask.

"No, but I think I know who did it," he says. I wait for him to continue. "I think it was Ryan Ross."

I remember Ryan. From before I was in the mental hospital. If he hadn't changed since I was away for that year, I wouldn't be surprised if he attacked me. He always seemed to have a strong hatred for me, but I never knew why.

Suddenly I gasp and put my hands to my head as I feel a headache so excruciating it brings me to my knees.

"Dallon! Are you okay?!" Brendon asks, panicking beside me.

What was it Dr Sivan had said?
"If your memory starts to mend, you may experience severe headaches, tiredness and nausea, depending on how much of your memory mends at once."

The headache intensifies, causing me to hold my head in pain, tears running down my cheeks.

I look up to see myself standing, being held in a firm grip by Spencer. I struggle against it but to no avail. I see Jon blocking my path out and then I see Ryan bring a crowbar out and strike me. Again and again and again. I feel the pain of each strike as it happens. My stomach, my ribs, my arms, wherever he can reach.

I'm doubling over and he still hits me. I am on the ground and he still hits me. I see Jon and Spencer watching it happen, not enjoying it but not opposing it. I hear Ryan talk about me making his life a misery. How I struggle to speak due to my pain. How he calls me and liar and screams at me as he hits me again and again. How I struggle to keep my eyes open. How I go unconscious, surrounded by a pool of my own blood. And Ryan still hits me, even after I'm out of it.

How Ryan and Spencer and Jon hear footsteps approach and panic and leave me lying there, in my deathly state.

"Dallon?! Can you hear me? Say something!"

The headache lifts.

"I remember."