Mama

Author's note- this chapter actually was planned but it's so appropriate considering it's Mother's Day today!

Dallon's p.o.v.

When we came home from the doctors, I immediately felt a sense of urgency to get inside my house. Like a wave I felt homesickness washing over me suddenly. I missed our home, even if it wasn't that big. It was cosy, and well, our home.

I jumped out of the car and ran inside the house once Mum unlocked the door. I walked the house, just breathing in the fresh scent, and savouring all the furniture sights which hadn't changed at all- the grey sofa in the living room, the tv attached to the wall. The bright kitchen with the four-seat table. I was so glad to have actual homemade food again.

The best part was my bedroom. I was so happy to be back home in my own double bed, not the small one in the hospital which I could barely fight in because of my height, and had itchy sheets and thin duvets that didn't keep out the cold in the winter. I longed to sleep right then, just to remember what it was like, but my mother called me downstairs.

She was sitting down at the table and she looked nervous, as if she was scared to say what she was going to tell me. It made me nervous too. What if she had bad news like she was really ill?

"Have a seat please, Dallon," she said quietly. She sounded weak and helpless, like she had no choice to tell me. I obliged and looked nervously at her, expecting the news to come.

"There's something I should tell you, Dallon..."she began, "I should have told you a long time ago....but you're adopted."

My mouth dropped. This is what she was scared about?!

I got out of my chair and walked over to her. Mum cowered back as if I was going to hurt her, but I wasn't planning to. I reached down and hugged her tightly.

"Thank you," I whispered. Mum looked surprised that I wasn't mad. Why would I be mad?

"Why are you thanking me?"

"Because you've been the best parent I've ever had even if you aren't my actual mum." This made tears come to her eyes, and I realised then how much she must have missed me. She must've been lonely, with no parents or husband around.

"I have some pictures of your parents and you when you were younger, if you'd like to see them," mum offered.

She showed me them, and I studied them carefully. The first one was of me and I was a baby- just born, I assume. Tiny hands and feet which is incredible compared to my size now. The second one was when I was older, maybe four or five and I was with my biological parents. I could see the resemblance between my parents and me. My father's dark hair and facial features, and definitely his height! But I had my mother's striking blue eyes and bright smile.

Mum must have seen me looking at the picture with interest, because she said softly, "You look just like them, Dallon." She almost sounded sad- like I looked nothing like her but she was my parent now.

"Mum, I may have my biological parent's genes in my looks, but I have your kindness and love." I smiled at her before saying, "What happened to them?"

Mum smiled sadly. "They died, Dallon. I'm sorry. They were killed in a car accident. You weren't there at the time, which was lucky, otherwise you would have been killed too. You were five when it happened. I adopted you soon after."

I realised then I was right. Mum adopted me because she was lonely. Her husband died before I was around and her parents don't live anywhere near here. She was desperate for a child. So she wasn't lonely anymore.

"I'll add these photographs to my collection in my room," I said cheerily. "And Mum, I still love you, no matter what."

I ran upstairs to my room to find my photograph collection still on my shelf. There was a picture of me and Josh, a picture of me and Mum when I was ten, and another one when I was fifteen. I added the new photos to the collection before looking at them contently.

Maybe someday I'll have a girlfriend or boyfriend and I can put a picture of them with my collection. That would be nice.

As I fell into bed, I felt happy for the first time in ages. It was almost as if the best cure for my depression was not going to the mental hospital, but actually coming home again afterwards. Deep down, I knew the depression was still there, and it always would be, but for now, I was content, and I drifted into a blissful sleep.