Chapter 65

Wednesday, January 24th, 2018

Emma's POV:

The past couple of weeks, I've been going through rehab to help me walk better and get my strength back. Sometimes, I just get so frustrated I want to quit. I have to have someone put food in my mouth, because I can barely use my arms. The guys and Logan try to help me as much as they can. I'm glad they're here for me, but I want to be independent. Daniels the only one that can see that. While I'm going through rehab, he is getting his strength back as well. The boys tell me he goes to the gym every other day. I'm glad. I haven't seen him since I've moved. It was part of our deal. I haven't told him I heard him yet. I haven't had the chance. When I started moving again, he told everyone before I could do anything about it. But, we meet this weekend. I'm nervous. What if I can still barely walk when we meet? He's going to be back to normal and I'm just going to be here, in the same condition I was two weeks ago. My voice is still weak. I have to whisper, but at first, I couldn't say anything. I have a wheelchair that I ride around in to get places. Of course, one of the guys pushes me. Currently, I am in a room with metal bars on both sides of me. Like ballet bars or something. I tightly grip onto the metal pole and stand up out of my wheelchair. My instructor, Kyle, helps me. He's one of Jonah's friends, got a job here to help people with broken legs and arms. So this is normal for him. The thing that makes me nervous about this whole thing is that there is a two-way glass mirror in the room. I know the guys stand outside and watch me, even though they claim they don't.

"Okay, take it nice and slow." Kyle says and grabs my waist to help me up. I know he's just trying to help me, but it felt wrong....I'm just being paranoid. I struggle to stay on my feet as I walk. I'm too weak. Kyle waits patiently across the room for me to walk to him. I slowly move one foot at a time. Even though it feels like I'm going so fast, I'm actually going no where. It's been 10 minutes and I've walked 5 feet.

"I can't do this. I can't! I'm getting no where." I say.

"Hey, don't give up. I know it's frustrating, but you'll get it. Trust me." He tries to calm me down.

"When? When am I going to walk without having to think about it. God, I never shouldn't taken it for granted. I never even thought about it once. Walking is just a subconscious thing for us, until we lose it, and realize how valuable it really is...I just...I'm so mad that I did this to myself. I've spent almost as much time in rehab as I did in the bed and I haven't gotten anywhere." I break down. I slowly sit down on a bench and start crying.

"Look, it's going to be hard. Very. It took me a long time to get used to this." He says, pointing to his prosthetic leg. "But, after a couple months, I was back on my feet like nothing happened."

"What did happen?" I ask.

"What?"

"With your leg. I'm sorry if that sounds rude, I just wanted to know-"

"Oh, yeah, it's fine. I had cancer in it. You ever read The Fault In Our Stars?" He asks and I nod. "Well, I had what Augustus Waters had. But, I got better and my cancer is gone."

"Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't know.."

"Ah, it's okay. Anyways, let's get back to work. You have a lot to do." He says in a stern, yet soft, tone.

§§§

After two more hours of trying to walk, and using my hands a little more, I finally got out of rehab.