Chapter 39

[Kaia's POV]

I could feel my back slowly burning by the eyes that were staring at me, way too long for my liking that it even made my skin shivering. While the footsteps echoing in the air, duplicating mine as they made a move.

Paranoid.

Yeah, maybe it was the best word that could describe me at the moment. Ever since I knew that my father was out there living freely and watching me, I couldn't get the thought out of my mind. I've been thinking about it non-stop and it successfully haunting me down, even to sleep.

Each time I took a step forward, I was afraid that he would do the same. Each time I looked back, I was afraid that I might actually saw him again.

Maybe it was all just my hallucination, but knowing that my father would do anything to preserve himself, wouldn't let my mind think in peace.

It's been a few days since the day I met my father but it still made me felt uncomfortable and frightened as the bad thoughts starting to consume my mind because the money I gave him the other day didn't even reach half of the amount he needed.

What if he's going to get to me again? I don't wanna be sold to someoneNo!

I brushed the thought out of my head as I took a deep breath and realized that half of the students had left the classroom already. I sighed while collecting all of my literature books that scattered all over the desk.

I walked slowly down the stairs, eyes glued on the tip of my shoes while clutching on the book tightly, not realizing that I just passed the lecturer's desk.

"Have a good day, Miss Jeon." I heard him saying, but I could only respond with a thin smile and could barely see his face.

"Are you avoiding me?" He mumbled and soon I realized that it was Hoseok and it instantly made me stop.

It was clear that confusion filled his voice but there was also a hint of sadness in between them and it stung my heart a little bit so I quickly turned to face him.

"What? No!" I exclaimed.

"Then why did you block my number?" He mumbled as he looked at me, hoping for answers.

"I didn't..." I frowned, but then remembered that I haven't told him about what happened to my phone.

"Was it because of the kiss?" The tone of his voice slightly rising but he managed to speak softly as he grabbed my hands.

I wasn't in the mood to talk about this. I wasn't in the mood to talk about anything to be honest. Therefore, I just stayed quiet.

Hoseok sighed as he saw my reaction. "I'm sorry, I know that you're not ready but how long do I have to─"

"No, it's not that." I had to cut him off and brought my gaze to the floor, because if I looked at his face, these tears would definitely burst out of my eyes.

I've been thinking about it lately. About him, and about my feelings. I would be lying if I said that I don't have feelings for him. It was never my intention to make him waiting like this but I just couldn't say the words because I was aware of my value.

We came from a completely different world where in his, he is surrounded by a great family who always be there by his side and I'm pretty sure he is surrounded by some great friends too.

While me, well... my family couldn't even stand near the word good. Friends? What is that word even means?

"Why me, Hoseok?" I whispered softly a moment later, forcing myself to look at him while sucking the tears in silent.