Ch. 6- Love Me Like I'm Dead

"He scorched all that he was and all that he knew in a madness akin to fire."

***

If there was something I wanted most in my life, it would be Elora. When I first saw her, I couldn't believe it. There was nothing but darkness and then there was her, my light.

I know I shouldn't have gotten involved -- shouldn't have turned her into a vampire in the first place. But I had no choice. War was here and I had to do something.

Now, in the middle of winter and sitting in my grand library, I am trying to think of ways to bring her back to life. Ways other than what I thought when I first discovered that I can.

I eyed Kellan closely, trying to comprehend what exactly he was saying to me. "So what you're saying is — there's a magic I haven't heard of that can bring her back?"

He leaned back in his chair and let out a breath. "It's a magic that not many use. In fact, it has been unheard of for a long time that someone would use this type of magic."

"I don't have to ask why you know this, do I?" I picked up my goblet of blood and took a sip.

"You don't, Sebastian. That's the reason why I'm so good at my job."

"Yeah, I wouldn't say that. Tell me how to use this magic." I said. He laughed. I furrowed my brows to see what was so funny but he was still smiling. "What?"

"You don't use the magic. It uses you." Kellan explained. "I have seen someone do this only once but what I can tell is there are many ways this could go wrong. That's what raising the dead is — it's a delicacy."

"I already know that. We're vampires for sake."

"And do you see every other vampire think the same way?" he asked. "I didn't think so. We're monsters, Sebastian, and we will always act like it even if we tried hard not to. And this — what we're doing right now — is something no one has dared to do for a long time. We might as well be Agnes."

A hint of a smile crept on my face. "Then let be it."

Kellan stood up finally and I did the same. "First, we need a few people first. Then, we need to find something from Elora. Something that could make her want to come back." He turned to me. "It's not just your love for her — there has to be something or someone she loves that she will think it's worth it."

I know exactly what that would be. Or who, to be exact. Maybe if I track him down — convince him that what I'm doing is the right thing — maybe he will agree.

I followed Kellan out of the library while he had his hands in the pockets of his long overcoat.

I stood beside him as I asked, "Who exactly are we going to get?"

He turned his head toward me and smirked again. For a moment, I thought I saw the younger version of me. But it was gone as he said, "My fellow companions who are great at these sort of things."

"At least they aren't my sister, it's fine by me." I said.

"How is that gorgeous violet eyed sister of yours? Still not talking to you?" He asked.

"You're a dick, Kellan."

"A dick that is the only person willing to help you. Call my debt paid."

Both of us lead our way out of the castle and outside where the car was already waiting for us. As we go into the vehicle, Kellan said mostly to himself, "They are going to freak out like a banshee when they see you."

I laughed sincerely at that.

And then the car started driving and we were gone — going to place I didn't know and meeting with his friends I had no idea existed.

Maybe this will finally bring me to my knees.

***