District One Male - Faust Chapman

Name: Faust Chapman

Age: 16

District: 1

Sex: Male

Physical Appearance: Faust isn't a pretty boy. He carries himself with a constant slouch, his shirt is never tucked in properly, and he still lacks the discipline required to break himself of nail biting. He has a pale face and dark hair that never arranges itself neatly. His features are nondescript. He has an average nose centered above average lips that sit on an average chin. If it weren't for his eyes, then he wouldn't be worth a second glance. Oh, but he was wonderful eyes. They're dark and hold the appearance of depth, reminding one of the earth after a rainstorm. In the sunlight they glitter, flecks of gold being brought out by the rays of light. They lend the messy, clumsy-looking boy some sharpness, reflecting the cunning of his mind.

Personality: He's an overwhelming mess who reeks of disorganization. His mother used to joke that he couldn't keep his head on long enough to walk to school, and she wasn't exactly wrong. What most people don't realize though, is that behind the messy hair and chewed off nails, Faust is actually quite smart. His problem isn't that he can't conform to the standards expected of him, but that he refuses to. What is the point of turning in your homework, he wonders, if doing it was a waste of time? He constantly questions authority, and is known for being willing to argue with anyone at any time. He is, above all, annoyingly stubborn. He could be called nice, but only because he doesn't go out of his way to be mean. Faust isn't a virtuous person. He's selfish, occasionally lazy, and chronically uncouth. He also has a tendency to talk too much, being the type of person to give voice to things that are better left unsaid. His only redeeming quality is his regard for life. Faust doesn't want to kill anyone, and the prospect of being forced to do so is terrifying.

Background: Faust was born to a family with only two children. He was the younger of the two. His brother was twelve years older, and died in the games when Faust was six. Now, he barely remembers him, but his name was Quartz and he was killed when some girl named Mercy put an axe through the back of his skull. Now, his name is rarely spoken at the Chapman house. He is ignored not out of shame, as many would believe, but out of pain. Faust also trained at the academy, vying for a spot in the games with the other children his age, but he never did well, and there was never a question of whether or not he would be asked to volunteer. Everyone knew that Faust wasn't Hunger Games material. Somehow, his parents never cared.

But the other kids did. His small stature and stand-offish tendencies, paired with his brother's death so early in the games made him an easy target for bullies. Faust sees his entry as fitting. Careers made his life miserable. It only makes sense that they should take it as well.

Reaped or Volunteered? Reaped, which is odd for a District One tribute. When Faust first heard his name called, he took it as a minor annoyance. He would have to climb on stage and smile at the cameras, but it would only be temporary. Lyon Woods was the male tribute that year, and he would volunteer quickly enough. Only, when his escort asked for volunteers, Lyon didn't speak up. Faust knew that he was there. He could see him, standing in the middle of the eighteen-year-olds, but no words passed from his lips. For the first time in District One history, a career refused to volunteer, and Faust was condemned to the same fate his brother had suffered ten years earlier.

Weapon of Choice: Preferably something that doesn't require him to watch his opponent die. He likes the idea of snares, but can work with a bow and arrow if forced to choose an actual weapon.

Token: A small, simple chain that he wears around his wrist. His mother called it a good luck charm, but Quartz was wearing it when he died, so Faust doesn't know how lucky it could actually be.