NINE

When Doyoung wakes up, the first thing he experiences is a wave of regret. The overdue embarrassment and shock wash over him like a splash of ice-cold water onto his back. He groans and covers his face with his hands as he thinks of last night.

"Why did I do that?" he mutters to himself. He rubs his eyes and checks his phone. There's a text from Taeyong from last night, but instead of opening it, Doyoung mutes the notifications. He then rolls out of bed to get ready for the day.

. . .

After working for almost eight straight hours, Doyoung tears his eyes away from his laptop and the files on his desk to look out the glass wall. The sky is cloudy; it will probably rain later.

Doyoung checks his phone and opens the text from Taeyong out of curiosity.

Doyoung rolls his eyes and continues to work.

. . .

Three and a half hours later, Doyoung checks his phone again.

          Doyoung chuckles to himself and continues to work again

. . .

At 7:30, Doyoung neatly closes his laptop and puts away files. He puts on his coat and loosens his tie. Before he leaves his office, he looks outside again. It's pouring rain.

He grabs the umbrella by his desk before leaving.

Doyoung is about to step out of the building when he remembers Taeyong's text. "There's no way..." he says to himself, but he feels his eyebrows furrow together. Suddenly, instead of walking out of the building, Doyoung runs back inside and hurries to the elevator to go to the garage. "Come on, come on," he anxiously murmurs, not aware he's doing so. As the elevator slowly descends from the ninth floor, Doyoung gives up on it and runs down the stairs instead.

When he gets to his car, he drives out of the company building and towards the Han River as fast as he can.