FIFTY SIX

"Wait, so you're dating that man-child now?" Heiran asks, nearly spitting out her caramel latte. She tilts her head in confusion and stares at Doyoung in question.

"I don't know," Doyoung says. "Maybe. I think so." He doesn't know why people keep asking him that, but the question always fills him with both embarrassment and joy. He would have never thought he'd become friends with Taeyong, much less have reciprocated feelings for him. It almost feels too good to be true.

Heiran giggles a bit at his response. "You two fit surprisingly well together. You mellow each other out." She traces the rim of her glass with a manicured finger. "This is crazy. I remember you had a girlfriend for like a week in first-year."

Talking about any relationship from before his high school graduation makes Doyoung want to scream. How absolutely humiliating. "No, I didn't," he replies with a strained smile. "You're probably confusing me with someone else."

Doyoung's discomfort makes Heiran laugh in delight. "I remember! She was this clingy, psychotic third year. It always seemed like she was holding you hostage."

"Who's talking?" Doyoung says in retaliation. His eyebrows furrow together as he tries to recall an event that he could use to counter Heiran. "Well, in our second year at SNU, before you met Taekwoon, you dated that Computer Science major who told everyone you had a flat behind without you knowing!" After speaking, he grins. He's won.

On the contrary, Heiran's smile drops, and she glares at Doyoung. "Why do you remember that? Erase. Erase!" She tries to flick Doyoungs forehead.

Doyoung puts up his palm, blocking Heiran's attack at the last moment. "So we both agree none of it ever happened?"

Heiran slumps in her seat in defeat. "Fine." She takes a sip of her drink before saying, "I don't think my ass is that flat though."

. . .

The whole time Doyoung walks back to the company building after lunch, he smiles to himself, his eyes cast down at his feet. The immense amount of satisfaction overflows from his chest and into his stomach, filling him up to the brim. Upon arriving, he swipes his personal key card in the elevator to reach his office. He is still smiling, almost chuckling in delight, when he finally looks up and sees a large being sitting at his chair.

He lets out a loud yelp and nearly falls over. The stuffed polar bear toy stares condescendingly at Doyoung. Doyoung grabs his chest and lets out a sigh of relief when he realizes what it is. He glares at the animal. "That's my seat. And my nameplate you're sitting behind," he says approaching the chair. He grabs the toy by its snout; it hangs helplessly in his hand. "Who are you?" Doyoung asks as if he will get an answer.

The answer lies on a piece of paper left on Doyoung's desk. Doyoung picks it up and quickly scans it with his eyes.

          The absurdity of the question and possible responses makes Doyoung nearly choke

The absurdity of the question and possible responses makes Doyoung nearly choke. He covers his mouth, trying to hold back laughter but finds it impossible as he soon begins giggling like a fool with only his polar bear friend watching.

He finds a pen and marks his answer before sticking it in his suit pocket with the Polaroid photo Heiran had given him.

. . .

Doyoung had been so distracted that he decided to just leave work early. To him, there was no use in staying if he wasn't using his time efficiently. He put on his suit jacket and left the building, the afternoon sun gloriously shining upon him.

He is so happy he can't quite believe it himself. Like buying ice cream on a hot summer day or making the perfect snowball during the winter solstice, everything feels perfect. A wide grin paints his face, and he feels so ecstatic, he could even dance.

So he does so. Just a little bit. He squeezes his eyes together and throws his arms up before rushing over to the SBS building.