TWENTY SIX

The large hallway that Taeyong walks through is open and bright. Sunlight streams in through the high windows, yet the ambiance seems daunting. Taeyong's headache is gone, but a feeling of extreme agitation replaces it. He spots a row of chairs lining the wall where other participants of the casting call are sitting and waiting. He sees an open chair and sits down as he adjusts his tie one last time.

When Taeyong sits down, he flips through his resume. Doyoung had said he adjusted a few things, but this is Taeyong's first time actually looking at it. Taeyong glances here and there, but on the last page, he freezes. He doesn't believe it, but it's right there in front of his eyes: Doyoung's name on the reference sheet.

He flips the resume back to the cover and stares at the wall. Somehow, Doyoung's name printed there in black ink sets a heavyweight on Taeyong's shoulders. More than ever, he wants to do well.

Taeyong takes a deep breath and looks at the doors in front of him in hopes of calming his rapid heartbeat. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees the girl sitting next to him doing the same thing. He thinks it's kind of funny, and also calming, how they're behaving the same way.

"Are you nervous?" he says, hoping that he doesn't weird her out.

The girl turns to him, and Taeyong can see her better. Her hair is short, and her bangs gently cover her forehead as if she had spent hours getting each hair in perfect place. Her cheeks are slightly rosy and pink, and Taeyong can't tell if it's from blush or if she naturally just looks like that. But either way, he thinks it's cute.

"Uhm. Yes, very," she says. Her voice is gentle. and it reminds Taeyong of smooth honey and light cream. "But you know," she continues, leaning in a bit. "I heard some people talking about it. Apparently, they give you a script first and then an impromptu, and they end with interview questions."

Taeyong nods, but he's suddenly more focused on her voice than what she's saying. It's just too pleasing to listen to. "You know, you'd make a great anchor," he says, a bit dreamily.

"Oh no, I could never," she says, flushing red. "I'd like to become a meteorologist. But for now, an internship would be more than enough."

"Ah! Weather forecasting?"

The girl nods shyly. "Maybe I'm not fit for it, but I want to try. I've always admired meteorologists."

Taeyong nods enthusiastically. "I feel the same way. And I think you'll do great, weather forecasting is an important job! A lot of people rely on it!"

The girl offers Taeyong a gentle smile of relaxation. "Thank you." She pauses before continuing. "Talking to you has eased my tension. I'm Seulmin."

The fact that a pretty girl has introduced herself to Taeyong first baffles him. He feels his ears go hot, and he's afraid he might start stuttering again. He clears his throat before replying, "I'm Taeyong. Good luck today!"

As if right on cue, the door to the tryout area opens, and the participants are called in.

. . .

When Taeyong arrives home, he throws off his cheap suit and tie. The audition had felt okay, not great but not terrible either. He already knew his resume was not incredibly outstanding, but his performance and Doyoung's recommendation would hopefully make up for it.

Taeyong enters Sungyeol's room and flops onto the bed.

"How was it?" Sungyeol asks, jabbing away at the keyboard as he does so.

"It was alright." Taeyong takes out his phone to text Doyoung some updates, but a follow request notification catches his eye so he opens that first. When he checks the profile, he gasps and then squeals like he's in middle school, and SNSD is on TV.

 When he checks the profile, he gasps and then squeals like he's in middle school, and SNSD is on TV

After accepting the request, Taeyong clicks on the recent post out of curiosity.

"Wow, pretty," Taeyong hums to himself. He realizes that Sungyeol follows her too, so he can't help but ask, "Sungyeol, do you know Seulmin?"

"Hmm?" Sungyeol does not look away from his computer, but Taeyong can almost hear him thinking. "Wait, yeah! She goes to Hansung like me! Group dates slash get-togethers in our year. I talked to her a few times, but she's studying something completely different. So I don't see her often. She's cute though!"

"So she's 22 like you," Taeyong mumbles. He sends Doyoung a text before tossing his phone aside to stare at the ceiling. "Hey, do you think I've changed recently?"

"What do you mean? Your hair is different."

"Duh. I meant, do I act differently?"

Sungyeol pauses. "I'm not sure about that. But you seem more energized. Like it's finals week, and you figured out that you have to get your shit together."

Taeyong dwells on that for a while and realizes Sungyeol is not wrong. Although Taeyong didn't think his life was so terrible before, he realizes, it's a bit better now.