NINETEEN

When Doyoung pulls up, Taeyong's eyes go wide.

"Woah, woah, woah!" He runs his hands across the top. "Woah. I've always wanted a Mustang like this. Wow."

Doyoung rolls down the window to the passenger seat and leans across. "Hands off. Or you're walking."

Taeyong shrugs and gets inside. "You know, I'm surprised you said you'd help me," he says as he puts on the seatbelt. "I thought you'd tell me to screw off so that you can enjoy your emo solitude on your own."

Doyoung does not reply, but he sighs to himself. He, too, wonders why he's agreed to help Taeyong. Taeyong's always been an annoying presence and even now, Doyoung feels the urge to throw him off a building. Yet it doesn't feel right to completely ignore him. If there's one thing that Doyoung despises, it's loose ends. To leave one hanging is the same as walking around with your fly unzipped. To tie up the loose end, Doyoung either has to completely annihilate Taeyong from his life or completely integrate him. The former seems more difficult so, in a sense, it feels like he's already made his decision.

However, Doyoung doesn't say it out loud. Perhaps he's still hoping that Taeyong can make the decision for him, and he'll make the decision that is easier.

"Maybe if you're properly employed, you won't blame me for your poorness anymore. Get a stable income and a life. Then, you won't have the time to bother me anymore."

Hearing this, Taeyong cannot help but scoff to himself. He thinks it's the first time he's ever scoffed in his life; there aren't many moments where he feels superior to someone. "I need to get a life? What about you?"

"I live my life in a way that I enjoy it," Doyoung says, looking ahead to the road. "I was fine until you came along."

"You really weren't. You were just a robot." Taeyong glances at Doyoung. "You need someone like me to spice up your life. You can't only eat bread your entire life. Gotta get some ramyeon in there too."

"I don't understand what you're saying half the time you open your mouth."

Doyoung parks on the street and gets out the same time Taeyong does.

Taeyong stares at the salon that seems to have suddenly appeared in front of him. "Man, I don't think I can afford this."

"What are you talking about? Even normal people go here. You're broke now, but you'll have a job soon. Let's go." Doyoung slips his hands in his pocket and calmly walks in, leaving Taeyong outside, staring at the sign. He slowly trudges in after.

. . .

"No. Absolutely no black," Taeyong says firmly. He bites his lip. He feels like he might cry any second. "Do you know how much Kool-Aid it took to get this color?"

Doyoung stands behind the chair Taeyong is sitting at. The hair-stylist scratches the back of her neck as she watches the two talk.

"Black is a professional color. You can't walk in there with your Kool-Aid hair, thinking they'll take you seriously." He crosses his arms and turns to the hairstylist. "Dye it completely black, please. Trim the sides. Could you make it a six-four part? Maybe perm it slightly wavy." He turns back to Taeyong. "Call me when you're done." With that, Doyoung walks out of the store, leaving an almost crying Taeyong trapped in his seat.

The hairstylist puts the apron around his neck and leans in to softly say, "If you want, I can make it a medium brown. It's still professional."

The only thing Taeyong can do is nod.