TWENTY EIGHT

Doyoung does not quite understand the feeling of restlessness in his stomach. It came to him in the morning during the drive to work and increased its intensity as the hours went by, inching closer and closer to 8:30. Although he does not comprehend it, Doyoung does know the reason for his nervousness.

He leaves work on time, an event that does not occur often. He drives out of the parking garage, not aware of his own heartbeat growing more and more intense as the minutes tick by.

. . .

When he arrives at the restaurant, the waitress guides Doyoung to a room. The realization that Taeyong had reserved a private room for the two of them dawns onto Doyoung, and he can only shake his head at the unnecessity of the action.

As Doyoung steps in, he sees Taeyong staring at the empty plate on the table. A throbbing heat settles in Doyoung's abdomen as he sits down across from Taeyong. Taeyong looks up and immediately breaks into a grin and all of a sudden, there is only warmth inside of Doyoung.

"You're here!"

"That I am," Doyoung says, leaning into his seat. "Really, a private room?"

"I got the job. So I dipped into my savings account and went a little crazy."

The businessman in Doyoung wants to scream. "You did what?"

"Well, I bought myself a new phone and some clothes since I'd need it for work. Then I went ham on beer and meat when I took Sungyeol out to eat. And I was about to buy him a La-Z-Boy, but then I wouldn't be able to pay rent for the month so maybe that's for later." Taeyong pauses as if he's thinking deeply, but he just smiles more widely and continues. "Treating you is the final thing I wanted to do. To show you my thanks!"

The words that Doyoung wants to say do not come out of his mouth. Rather, a chuckle escapes his lips, one neither he nor Taeyong expected to hear. At the sound, Taeyong begins laughing as well. "You are ridiculous," Doyoung says with a soft smile. "That's an incredibly foolish decision to spend all that in one day. But it sounds like something you'd do."

"I'm glad." Taeyong glances at his lap and then back at Doyoung. "You seem happier today."

Doyoung blinks, and then the smile on his face vanishes, replaced by his usual stoic poker face. "I'm the same as usual. Shall we order now?"