FORTY

The step into the club is unfamiliar to Doyoung despite having been here so many times before. It feels as if turbulent waves clash around in his stomach, a sensation of both anxiety and excitement. His eyes carefully scan the scenery, and Doyoung slowly walks over to the dimly lit bar, each step feeling both heavy yet light.

Doyoung sits down at a seat and sighs to himself. He rests his hand on the bar but does only that. After a few moments, the bartender approaches Doyoung. "I haven't seen you here in a long time," he says, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," Doyoung replies curtly, and the conversation ends. The bartender rolls his eyes and leaves him alone.

In a little while, Doyoung spots Taeyong from a distance. Taeyong is nearly skipping as he approaches the bar, a grin so wide on his face that it is easily the brightest thing in the room. Doyoung instinctively shudders and tries to look away from the childish man in embarrassment.

"Doo-Doo-Young," Taeyong says in a sing-song voice, leaning in close to Doyoung's ear. The lack of distance makes his stomach tumble, but he gulps and ignores it. "This is the last time you're ever going to come here," Taeyong continues as he sits down next to Doyoung.

"What did you call me?" Doyoung asks, trying to stray his mind from the feeling of electricity running through his chest.

"Doo-Doo-Young," Taeyong says again, without skipping a beat. "Let me order something first." As Taeyong turns his attention to the bartender to order some amalgamation of alcohol and fruit flavors, Doyoung tries to level his mind.

Doyoung suddenly thinks that he's had too much realization in the time he's last met Taeyong and now. It was easier to admit that he's become somewhat attached to Taeyong while sitting all by himself in the solitude of his home. But now, Taeyong is not a recurring fragment in his mind but a real, living person sitting right next to him. Within the close distance, Doyoung can feel the warmth of his skin and the air of his breath. He shakes his head and tries to forget everything he's just thought of, yet it's difficult when it's the only thing on his mind.

The bartender brings over some colorful drinks, and Taeyong receives them gratefully. "You know, Doyoung will never come here again," he says playfully to the bartender. "It's his last day. If you have anything you want to say to him before goodbye, now's your chance!"

The bartender does not pause before walking away.

"What is this?" Doyoung asks as Taeyong slides a blue drink to him.

"Uh, I don't know. But! It's not wine!" Taeyong says brightly. "But do you know how weird you are? Who drinks wine at a club?" He shakes his head. "Not judging, you do what you want to do, but you're not fully taking advantage of what's offered to you here!"

Doyoung takes a slow and careful sip of the drink after murmuring, "This is the closest place from work... I just wanted to have a glass before going home." After swallowing, a strong taste of alcohol, citrus, and sweetness burns Doyoung's throat. It is blatant and powerful, completely unlike the subtleness of his preferred drink.

Taeyong manages to finish his margarita much faster than Doyoung and lets out a slow yet loud yell. "Okay! Now we are intoxicated!!" In his mind, Doyoung disagrees because this is typical sober-Taeyong behavior. "Let's get crack-a-lackin!" He grabs ahold of Doyoung's hand and pulls him to the crowded dance floor.

Immediately, the environment makes Doyoung tense up. Sweaty bodies keep bumping into each other as they dance, and it feels like Doyoung will lose Taeyong's hand at any moment. But when Taeyong finally lets go, he is standing face to face with Doyoung in the middle of the dance floor.

Taeyong flashes his teeth gleamingly and leans in towards Doyoung's face. He says something, but Doyoung cannot hear it. He secretly blames it on the music, but the sound of his heart thumping in his chest echos in his ears. The lack of distance is dizzying to Doyoung, and he feels like he cannot breathe.

"Say it again," Doyoung says hoarsely as another realization settles in him.

"I said I'm going to show you my killer moves!" Taeyong yells loudly before backing up. "Watch!" Taeyong begins to do some collaboration between the chicken dance and the sprinkler. A few people around him begin to cheer him on, but Doyoung stands still, unable to tear his eyes away from Taeyong.

Time slows and Taeyong laughs. Doyoung closes his eyes.

In front of him is a man who truly cares for Doyoung, someone that wants the best for him and tries his hardest to make him laugh.

Doyoung opens his eyes and almost groans. He is a small stone in a big sea. At first, only small ripples in a gentle stream moved him forward. But now, turbulent, exciting waves dance around him, not allowing him a way back.

In front of him is a man he's fallen in love with.