FORTY ONE

I love Taeyong. I love Taeyong. I love Taeyong.

A heated wave of embarrassment washes over Doyoung as the thought repeatedly hammers itself into his mind. He feels his neck, cheeks, and ears go incredibly red and hot. He tries to look away from Taeyong but realizes that the small action will not do anything to sway his newfound feelings.

Doyoung hesitantly walks towards Taeyong. Each step feels heavier than the one before as if a new anchor ties itself to his ankle each time Doyoung lifts his foot. Closing the distance makes Doyoung's heart ache; it twists and turns in his chest. If Doyoung could, he would rip it out of his chest since it would hurt less.

Taeyong pauses his bizarre dancing when he notices Doyoung come near him. "Hey!" he says delightedly. "So, what did you think?"

"I'm tired," Doyoung says gravelly. He stares at Taeyong's forehead, feigning eye contact. "Can I go home?"

Taeyong's eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "That's all you have to say? Were you even looking at me?" Doyoung silently gulps in response, causing Taeyong to lean closer out of both curiosity and worry. "Hey, are you okay? You look kind of tense."

"I'm fine," Doyoung says sharply. He quickly turns his head away from Taeyong, looking to the side before correcting his statement. "I'm alright, just tired."

"Oh, then let's go outside for some air. I'll call a taxi." Taeyong smiles gently. "Sorry, I guess it wasn't too fun for you."

"No," Doyoung says before he can even think. He turns back to face Taeyong, and the closeness makes him catch his breath. Taeyong tilts his head slightly, looking a bit flustered. "You were very humorous, so it was fine." He glances at Taeyong's eyes. They are shining and bright; there is an impression of purity about them. He quickly looks away before being entranced by them.

A large grin appears on Taeyong's face. He leans back a bit and laughs heartily. "Whew, thank God! I thought my first outing failed!" He looks at Doyoung again and pats his shoulder. "Okay, then it's a success for today! Let's leave." He grabs ahold of Doyoung's hand, but before they even start walking, Doyoung quickly pulls his hand away. Taeyong looks at Doyoung in surprise.

"Don't worry, I can follow," Doyoung says carefully. "Lead the way."

Once outside, the two walk along a sidewalk next to the main road. The city lights glitter brightly. Cars rush by, sending small breezes as they pass. Doyoung tries to count his footsteps as he walks beside Taeyong, hoping the action will allow his heart and mind to steady. However, seeing Taeyong walk with a light skip next to him makes him easily lose count.

Doyoung quickly over calls a taxi. "You should go first," he tells Taeyong.

Taeyong shrugs. "Okay. You're first next time!" As Taeyong gets inside, he waves to Doyoung. "Thanks for coming out with me!" He does not stop waving as the taxi drives away. Doyoung is unable to tear his eyes apart from the image of the taxi getting smaller and smaller until it is completely gone.

. . .

Once at home, Doyoung checks his phone. He is surprised when he finds a text from Jiyeon.

 He is surprised when he finds a text from Jiyeon

Doyoung sighs in relief. During this sudden moment of adversity, Doyoung has found an opportunity.

          Either Jiyeon is has made a joke that is just a coincidence, or she is incredibly perceptive

Either Jiyeon is has made a joke that is just a coincidence, or she is incredibly perceptive. Albeit the latter seems impossible to judge from just Doyoung's text, Doyoung thinks it is true. Somehow, from his eleven words, Jiyeon has already understood his dilemma. Doyoung sighs as he lies down in his bed.

Although he feels worn down and slightly afraid, he is anxious for tomorrow. He falls asleep, finding himself thinking of Taeyong before drifting away.