THIRTY ONE

It takes time for Taeyong to acclimate to his new career. He had already known that he wouldn't delve right into breaking news as soon as he started working. But even after a few weeks, the type of stories he has been covering has started to feel ridiculous.

"Say, this would be a fun idea," his producer tells him one day, bringing in an artificial baby bump to Taeyong's office space. He holds it up near his stomach as if he were to wear it himself, pondering about how it would look.

"Huh?" Taeyong says, looking up from his notepad. The only marks of pen on it are stray scribbles and the occasional sketch of a puppy. He glances at the baby bump and immediately groans. "Fun for you, not for me!"

"A day in the life of a pregnant mother," the producer drawls on, ignoring Taeyong. "You're perfect for it."

"In what way? That makes no sense." Taeyong wants to cry. "Okay, wait wait wait. Last week I had to report on how stray cats are affecting the bird population. Why do I keep getting these topics? Can't I get something more interesting by now?"

The producer frowns. "Well, it's not like we're just going to throw you on prime time without doing some lighter stories first. Anyways, the baby bump-"

"Okay, how about the 6 to 7 A.M. slot? You wouldn't put heavy news on in the morning, but it'd still be better than what I have now," Taeyong interrupts. "I think I have the face for it, and I can brighten up everybody's morning before they go to work." He attempts a charismatic grin.

"How about you do this report first." The producer glares a bit at Taeyong, annoyed at his interruptions.

"Can I cover sports? It's baseball season too. Did you know I was a catcher in middle school? They don't get much hype, but someone experienced like me can do a great cover on it and bring them the glory they deserve!" Taeyong says excitedly, hoping it will sway his higher-up even by a little.

The producer leaves the bump on Taeyong's desk and walks away.

. . .

It is as soon as Doyoung gets in his car, about to head home, when Taeyong calls him and asks to meet up at a restaurant. At first, Doyoung is about to immediately say no. However, he suddenly feels as if it has been a while since he's seen Taeyong's grinning face.

Well. It shouldn't be too bad meeting up with him.

Doyoung arrives at a small barbeque joint and finds Taeyong sitting at a table, already finished with a bottle of alcohol.

"You were a catcher in middle school?" Doyoung asks after listening to Taeyong's rant. "That's a position that requires some thinking. Can't possibly imagine you as one." His voice is slightly quiet, yet it has a comfortable hum to it.

"That's all you have to say?" Taeyong exclaims. He takes a small shot of soju and then sighs. "Well, we didn't win very often," he murmurs under his breath.

Doyoung smiles. There is something complacent regarding the ambiance. The gentle orange hue of the light fixtures makes Taeyong's face glow. The smell of meat being slightly burnt as Taeyong tumbles with the tongs reminds Doyoung of a home from long ago. "You can't expect to get big stories right away. Even so, I saw your report on cats at around six in the afternoon the other day. That's already a pretty good slot for a story that mundane."

Taeyong's face becomes red, although his cheeks already have a flaming tinge from the amount of alcohol he is consuming. "I didn't want to do that... I like dogs better anyways." He shakes his head. "Anyways, why are you smiling Mr. Robot CEO? Is my misery that amusing to you?" But Taeyong cannot help but slightly grin himself even as he says it.

Doyoung's smile becomes slightly smaller but doesn't disappear. "It is slightly funny."

Another hour or two passes as Taeyong drawls on about different topics. Half the time, Doyoung is not listening. He simply sits and sinks into the atmosphere. Something about it keeps tugging him under, forcing a sense of relaxation he realizes he's missed out on during the time he hasn't seen Taeyong. It's a warm and gentle feeling, one that Doyoung doesn't want to leave behind just yet.

And so, Doyoung continues to ease into his environment with the gentle yet rowdy waves of Taeyong's voice surrounding him.