Chapter 16

'Right, Doctor, first things first. Give people of Earth their freedom back,' Rose demanded as soon as the three of them had entered the TARDIS.

'But... they are free. They can do whatever they normally do,' the Doctor protested.

'Don't give me that nonsense. You know what I mean and you will do as I say. I want you to get that mind control of yours out of their heads. Now,' Rose said with a steely edge to her voice.

Jack couldn't suppress a smile, he found it quite funny how Rose was handling the Doctor. The Doctor seemed to be unnerved and that was not something Jack had seen very often. But the Doctor saw Jack's smile and his expression changed in a death glare, meant for the immortal.

'Stop making that face, Doctor,' Rose ordered.

'But... He is laughing at me,' the Doctor pouted, trying to justify his angry glances.

But Rose kept on looking at him with her stern expression, which made Jack only laugh harder.

'I don't care, you will go to Earth right now and you will make sure that everyone is normal again. You know what happens if you refuse, don't you?' Rose said as if she was talking to a little child.

'Yes... Yes,' the Doctor said grudgingly, not wanting to upset Rose or to make her angry with him. He was really desperate to win her trust back right now. She had to stay with him, that was the most important thing. From then on, he would start thinking about everything else.

'Good boy,' Jack sniggered, trying to stop his laughter.

The Doctor ignored Jack completely as he passed him to reach the consoles. But he wasn't going to let Jack do this, Rose could do what she liked right now, but Jack was a complete different story. The Doctor wasn't going to allow Jack to humiliate him just because Rose was back.

'Don't be like that, Doc, come on, don't be mad,' Jack pouted, going after the Doctor. But Rose grabbed his arm.

'That's enough, Jack, leave him,' she said, knowing that the Doctor didn't like being provoked.

'What? It's good for him to lose his authority for a moment.'

'No, Jack, leave it.'

The Doctor pretended that he didn't hear the whole conversation behind his back. He would deal with Jack himself, Rose didn't have to do that for him. Then he landed the TARDIS in London once more, just to please Rose. Why should he even care about the Earth? If Rose wanted her beloved humans to be themselves again, then so be it. They were not important to him anyway.

'Here we are then, Earth. Now just a second...' the Doctor said, grabbing the machine which he had made for the mind control and he switched it off using his sonic. 'There. Go on, take a look.'

Rose looked at him suspiciously, thinking that this was all just going a bit too easy, but she stepped out of the TARDIS to see for herself. If he really did what she had asked, then that would mean that the Doctor really listened to her for once. She could really control him and she would make him better.

'If you are lying to me...' she started, just to make sure that the Doctor would take her seriously.

'I'm not, go and see for yourself,' the Doctor said, gesturing towards the street they had landed it.

Rose recognized it as her own street, she could go and see her own mother again.

'Doctor?' Rose asked hesitantly, before approaching someone. 'Do they know what happened? I mean, will they remember?'