Eight

As I opened the curtain, sunlight washed in. A swish on the dark brown bed cover enough to get the dust away, and then put the thing back. I patted the broken white pillows and lined it back on the bed. Lifting the bean bag, I fluffed it to its original shape and put it back beside the wide window. My tablet and my laptop was lying over the table just behind the bean bag, stuck between the wall and the bed. Over that, was my camera, and a book stand filled to the brim with art and fiction books. Beside the bed was the glass box shower box with a room just enough to stand and a door to a very small toilet room behind it.

The wardrobe closet was just across the box. And that was all my belongings in the world.

My adoptive fam give me education until Highschool. After that, I'm on my own. But I am grateful for what they've given me.  If not because of them, mom particularly, I would died at the first day my real mom threw me to the trash.

I glanced at the big drawing over the bed, wiped it clean and sighed. This particular drawing give me my education and place. I worked hard at highschool to get the scholarship and I am so glad I got it.

The sun raising slowly as I cooked my breakfast at the common kitchen and brought it to my room. I used to eat at the carpet, so that what I wanna do now.

I twirled my morsel and examined it.  My finger played with the phone, tempted to call Lana or Britney. But I knew they're getting ready too at the moment. It would be annoying.

At home, sitting down at the floor, twenty of us, eating the same tasteless food. If we are lucky, someone sent us something else that we could enjoy something else. At first months, it was so hard eating alone. I cried all the time.

Sitting down at the carpet, glancing the wide vast view into the small city, I felt small and lonely, eating all alone like this.

Would be great having some companion. It just...

I sighed.

Brushing the crumbles off my pants, I washed and tidy up the plates, lazily brushed my hair, tied it and took my bag.

Laputa's theme song played as my phone rings. I took it and swipe.

"I'm ready" I said to the speaker.

"Good" Said Britney on the other end, relieved. "You couldn't skip anymore"

My eyes softened. "Thanks mom"

"I-am-not-your-mom!" Britney harsh word followed by a disconnected beep. If only her voice didn't sound so childish.

Yet, I couldn't stop smiling as I looked into the phone. Somehow my finger scrolled up to see Mom's pic. Mom hardly phoned me anymore. Yeah, cos she just an orphanage caretaker. She must be busy.

I put the phone on my bagpack, swung it into my back and locked my door.

A few minutes on my motorcycle and I arrived.

I parked my motor and locked it. As I glanced up, Lana was already there, folding her hand.

Running, I smiled as I tapped her shoulder. "Morning!" But my smile vanished as I saw her darkened face.

"Whats up?"  I carefully asked.

"You whats up" Her answer very stiff.

I frowned."Huh?"

She stomped her feet on the ground and said. "I know you are a nice and cute girl. But please you have to choose one of them!"

"One of who?"

"Damn it!" She gritted her teeth. "Don't play innocent!"

I threw my arm "I totally dont know what are you talking about for god sake!"

Nodding slightly she looked me in the eyes. "Oh, so, you dont know what I am talking about?" Her note dripping with sarcasm, anger and sadness.

I shook my head, a bit afraid.

"You slut!" She spat and stormed.