Chapter Nine

Beyoncé:

The day after Kelly and I sat in her cousin's hair salon talking about all that happened yesterday. Her cousin Kelsey couldn't believe that Jay and I were messing around and Kelly couldn't believe that he was engaged.

"Girl you are one lucky bitch to be fucking that man. He is a walking chocolate bar,"Kelsey licked her lips.

"They been messing since high school. Ain't nothing changed between them, they just took a ten year break. Bey stays hooked on him,"Kelly laughed as Kelsey straightened her weave.

"That's the father of my child y'all talking about,"I checked my phone.

"Wait what? How old is this child?"Kelsey raised her eyebrows.

"Ten in a few months,"her mouth dropped and she accidentally burned Kelly with the straightener making her jump.

"You tryna stab your cousin Kelsey Rowland?!"she kissed her teeth.

"There's been word about a fiancée which we all know about, but a son? Now that's new,"she scoffed.

"You've never seen Eva before?"I questioned.

"Eva Culhane? She runs the club with him right?"Kelsey checked.

"Yeah,"I confirmed.

"I thought they were just business partners. I had no idea that was his fiancée. Carter doesn't really show off his fiancée and I'm guessing he's told her not to tell about them. Does she know about..."

"Shaquille,"Kelly answered as I checked my phone again. "Girl you've looked at that phone 100 times over since we've got here. What you expecting?"

"I'm sorry,"I sighed. "Jay's meant to be texting me to let me know when we're telling Eva about Shaq."

"Wait, you're telling her together? Bey that woman is Jay's responsibility. Let him deal with that,"Kelly objected.

"I can't Kelly, that's not fair. I can't pin it all on him and expect him to reveal this secret child when he only found out yesterday. I work with Eva too so I've got to be honest in order for it not to be awkward at the club. She told me she's been wanting to have a child with Jay,"I rubbed my temples.

"Well you've already taken that so take her man too,"Kelsey clicked her fingers and Kelly laughed.

"Kelsey!"I gasped shaking my head.

"Listen, I can picture you and Carter together better than Carter and Eva. Take her man and start y'all family and if she wanna stop y'all, burn the bitch,"Kelsey lifted the straighteners up making us laugh.

"I don't even know where we stand right now. I think it's better off if we just focus on our son and not on each other. He deserves both our attention,"I figured that it was best Jay and I kept our relationship strictly business and friends. It wasn't definite that we'd get back together and a platonic relationship wouldn't confuse Shaq about us too.

"You're right but Bey, you and Jay never fail to stay away from each other. You spent the whole of high school swearing up and down that you and him were just friends but then y'all ended up getting together, and after high school you spent ten years swearing up and down that you'll never speak to him again but you're here,"Kelly preached and she wasn't lying. This time I couldn't go back on my word because we had a child involved. Shaq meant the world to me and he came before anybody.

"We're not in high school anymore Kelly. Shaquille comes first and I don't want him to get the wrong idea of me and his father,"I blew my breath.

"I hear you girl but I still want to see y'all together. Kelly, I'm all done baby,"she put the straighteners down once she turned it off and gave Kelly's weave a finishing shine.