10

The grey Egyptian sheets was tangled between my legs. The room was cold, but I felt warm all over. I reached my arm behind me to find the opposite side empty. Grabbing the sheets, I walked into the bathroom to take a shower and clean myself up. Harry and I had had a long night with not much sleep.

After my shower I got ready for work. I had a couple of meetings today and didn't want to be late. I pulled my hair back in a sleek ponytail, added a little makeup and lipstick and wore an ivory silk suit. I walked downstairs and found the note he'd left, of course he had to go in to work early but said he would call me later.

When I arrived at the office we had our morning meeting and I was hydrating with coffee and caffeine. I had a lot of work to do, not only with my job but my life. I didn't know where this sudden epiphany came from but it's like I was looking at everything with eyes wide opened.

I worked on some paperwork and had responded to emails from marketers with questions about some of our drugs. By the time it was lunch the morning had flown by.  Most of the women I worked with had tons of pictures on their desks of their families and children, some even of their grandchildren.

I realized I was at the point in life that I wanted that. I was ready for my own family and children. I had a successful career, made it through my college years and had enjoyed my single years after college.

But what do you do when the person you love And want that with doesn't want it? Given the fact we haven't discussed it, Harry is very busy with work and I don't even know if he ever wanted children. Did he even want to commit and settle down?

I know work wasn't the ideal place for these thoughts but I couldn't shake them. I immediately called Liz telling her to get over to my place when I got out of work.

Her car was in my driveway and when I walked in she had a bottle of wine and two glasses poured. Girl doesn't disappoint.

"Ok I'm assuming this is a big deal so I brought the wine!"

I kicked my heels off and grabbed the glass she offered me. "I've had the epiphany." I took a large drink.

Liz sat across from me on the couch raising her eyebrow. "The epiphany??"

"Yes. Marriage. Kids. My own family. I want it. I love Harry and I'm scared that he won't or doesn't ever want it. What do I do?"

"What the hell? Where did this come from?"

"I don't know Liz!! I wish I did! Now tell me what to do!!"

She took a large drink and sighed. "Well obviously you need to have the talk about it with him. Are you sure you're sure about it. That he's the one you want to do this with? That he's the one you want to spend forever with? Have kids with?"

"Yeah pretty positive. I mean I love him and no one I've ever been with has ever compared to my feelings for him."

"Well then the talk is necessary. Then see how it goes and go from there."

"I don't want to guilt him into something. I'm afraid to mention it. He works all the time and his career is important to him. I'm scared he will be like totally against it or something."

"He can have a career and a family. He'd just have to make time for you or make sure you went when he had to travel. There's always a way to make it work."

I sighed and finished off my glass and poured another one deciding to drink this one slower. I got some grilled chicken I'd made and a salad and put it together for us. I didn't need to go to work hungover.
I sat back down handing Liz her plate and checked my phone. Harry had just sent a text saying he'd be late but asked what I was doing.