13

I shouldn't have fell for his trap but he knew I would ask him about Luke. "You do huh? Humor me then."

He laughed and suddenly I was receiving a FaceTime call from him. I hesitated answering but my curiosity won the latter and I know he wouldn't tell me anything if I didn't answer. I pressed accept to the call, his handsome face taking up my phone screen.

"So humor me Harry." I was laying in bed and didn't have any makeup on, but I didn't care. Harry and I had seen each other at our worsts. He seen me at my worst anyways.

He shifted and it looked like he'd just finished with a shower, wearing only a T-shirt and sweats. "He's a jerk." He raised his shoulders. And it did make me laugh. Surely that wasn't all he had on Luke.

"Really? That's all you have to say about him? I don't believe that."

"It should be enough. But I guess not for you. He has his business, which I'm sure you're aware of. However he isn't the best business person." I rolled my eyes. "He's made deals with people, people he owes money to that I doubt he can repay. His friends are shady and if he isn't careful he could find himself in trouble sooner rather than later."

"Is that a threat? Does he owe you money or something?"

"No I'm not dumb enough to loan it to him. I'm not making a threat, I'm telling you how the business world works and how people who lend money and not get it back works. I worry about you getting caught up in that."

I shifted trying to decide if I believed him or not. "I'm not apart of his business or work so it won't involve me."

"That's what you think. People get creative in ways for the way they can be paid back. Just be careful and don't do anything he mentions that sounds suspicious."

I sighed because apart of me did believe him. I didn't think he'd be this creative making something up. "Ok. I appreciate you telling me."

"So that's it? You're just going to keep seeing him?"

"Yes. He hasn't done anything suspicious Harry. He's been nice and good to me."

"Well don't say I didn't warn you."

We chatted a little longer about things other than Luke. I'd asked him who he was seeing now days, which he denied anyone specific. I wasn't surprised given his lifestyle. I hung up, too tired to talk and went to bed. I found myself a little sad after talking with Harry. I still missed him.

******

"You wanna ride with me to run some errands when you get off of work? Some are related to work so I couldn't do them during work." Like had asked when I called him on my way home from work. It had been a week since my conversation with Harry and I don't know if I was paranoid or if this did sound suspicious.

"I think I'm just going to go home and relax. I had a pretty busy day. Plus I need to pack since I'm going to a conference tomorrow."

"Oh come hang out. I won't keep you out long." Like insisted.

"What all do you have to do?" I pulled into my driveway and parked. Grabbing my purse and having my keys ready I went inside. It felt amazing to have these heels off.

"Stop by a few places. Check on a shipment order. It won't take too long."

I contemplated on what I should do. If I asked Liz she'd say Harry was just trying to weasel his way back into me. But this was odd. "You can stop by here when you finish since it won't take you long."

"Nah come with me. It will make it less boring for me if you're with me."

My gut was telling me no, relax and stay home. I felt guilty for not hanging with him before I left so I agreed and he promised to have me home soon.

He picked me up and he was in a ball cap and jeans. He kissed me when I got into the car and I texted Liz and told her if I sent a weird text to call me. Luke pulled out and started driving to the other side of town, the shady looking side. "So what do you have to do out here?" I watched the old buildings come in to view. He pulled up beside an old looking shop and parked outside. I tried to look in but couldn't see in.

"Just gotta see an old friend. I'll be right back. Keep the doors locked."

I didn't feel safe staying in the car here. "You sure you don't want me to come inside with you?"

"Yeah. I won't be long." He hopped out and I made sure to lock his doors. I wanted to see inside so bad but couldn't. After about 30 minutes had passed I was getting nervous. Not being able to see in only intensified my nerves. I had this gut feeling that I needed to leave and get out of there. I should've called Liz but my hand pushed Harry's name and I was calling him.

It took a few rings but he finally answered. "Hello?"

"Harry I'm sorry to bother you. I hope you're not busy..."

"I'm always busy. What's wrong?"

I let out a big puff of air hoping that maybe Luke would come out and I could quickly end the conversation and not ask for Harry's help.

"I need you to come and get me. I rode with Luke to run some errands and it's been thirty minutes and I'm still sitting-"

"Wait. What? I told you not do anything like that with him. That he's shady."

"You were right, okay? I'm afraid to get out of the car in this area and will you come get me?"

"Yeah where are you?"

"I don't know. There's old buildings and it's on the other side of town-"

"I know where you are I'm on my way."

*****

Harry was there in no time and I was glad he showed up. I hated admitting he was right, but he was. Luke still hadn't came out and I hoped he was ok. I didn't even tell him I left.

"What were you thinking? This is the shadiest part of the city! He's probably paying some late payment to a person who would shoot him and you if they knew you were with him." He hit his hands on his steering wheel. He was mad. Livid. But I couldn't blame him.

"Look I'm sorry! I wanted to believe he was good. That it wasn't true!"

He didn't say anything, shook his head and I could tell by the direction of his car that we weren't heading back toward my place. "Where are we going? Are you not taking me home!?"

"No. You're going to my place tonight. Until I know you're safe." I didn't argue with him and when he pulled into his garage I quickly followed him inside like a child in trouble.

******

I was in my old room, but now it was filled with the fresh scent of laundry like it had been cleaned, sterilized from me. I should feel comfort that I was safe, in the condo with Harry who was upstairs. I felt restless.

I wondered about Luke, was he okay? He hadn't even tried to call me. I wondered what my life would be like if Harry wasn't there like I needed him to be. If he didn't pick me up or answer the phone. Or even warm me of the shady things Luke was in. I was selfish. I wanted happiness and love and a future full of family. It wasn't fair I tried to chase that and have it from someone who I would never love. Not like my love for Harry.

Restlessly I looked over at the clock. 3am. It was quiet and I wondered if Harry was even awake. I grabbed my phone again and seen Luke had sent a text.

"Where are you?!"

Maybe he did care. Maybe his phone had died. I decided to call him to see what he said instead of sending a text back.