20

It felt odd being back in a normal environment. An environment that consisted of actual rooms and windows and...freedom. Liz had been at the hospital every day until I was stable enough to be discharged. She insisted I stay at her house and under normal circumstances I would've argued but I was still weak. The fluids and medicine I received helped me get back on track to eating normal foods and holding them down without getting nauseated.

I laid on the nice queen bed with the soft mattress and light yellow comforter. I had a great view of her backyard and it was sunny out. I sighed realizing how much I missed the sun. Never in my life did I or could I imagine what it was like having the simple things of life taken away. I was never going to take advantage of the simple things anymore.

As my new phone chimed with a text, Liz walked in the guest room I was currently occupying and laid down beside me. I grabbed my phone and it was my mom checking on me. She'd visited and wanted me to move back in with her but I didn't want that. As I texted her back Liz propped her head on her hand.

"Is it him?"

I knew who she was referring to. Harry. I hadn't heard a word from him since I was rescued. Not a word while I was in the hospital. I gave her a look she knew all too well.

"No. It's my mom checking on me. You know he hasn't and probably won't be messaging me. Haven't heard from him so I don't expect to now."

She sighed and laid back down. When she insisted I stay with her I was iffy, but she was lonely. She was engaged to a man who was never home, putting his career before a great woman who he expected to play housewife. I knew better.

"What's wrong Liz?"

"You need to talk to the police and make a statement."

"I know. But I need to find a good lawyer first."

"He will check on you. Give it time."

"Who, Harry?" I laughed. "He knows I am out, it was on the damn news. He's not texted and I doubt he'd call in front of his employees and all the different females he's been pictured with and linked to since I was gone and and now out."

Liz sighed. "If not for him I wouldn't have found you. I need to tell you this. I couldn't really do it while you were in the hospital. But I'd been frantic and knew something was wrong. I called your mom and she freaked, called Luke who acted like he didn't have a clue. I finally reached out and got a hold of Harry."

I looked at her to go on.

"It took a while to get him to return my calls but finally he did when I told him something was wrong, wasn't adding up. He told me you had been with Luke and you were with him now that you weren't his concern. I tried to tell him different but he didn't listen. So I explained how you weren't with Luke and he didn't believe me. So a few days after he called me and I told him I still hadn't seen you and Luke said he hadn't either and he said he'd take care of it. Next thing I know he'd sent me a text with where you was and to pick you up and that was it."

I was shocked. Did Harry pay off what Luke owed? Did he help rescue me? He had to because I knew Luke didn't have the money. I wondered who had shot Remy? Maybe it's best if I didn't know.

"Well when I get my lawyer I'll talk to the police."

Liz turned on the tv and we binged on Netflix and ate junk food the rest of the night officially ending the topic of Harry.

*******

I pulled into the driveway and when I put the car in park I sighed. I was going to stay with my mom even though Liz insisted I stay with her. But her fiancée was actually spending time with her, making plans for a week getaway. I wasn't going to stay at their house. Maybe this would help Liz's relationship.

I grabbed my suitcase if my clothes and met mom on the sidewalk. She hugged me, tugging my suitcase with her. She was making lunch and I went to lay down while she finished. As I looked around my old bedroom memories flooded me. It was hard to believe I was back home, if only temporary. I didn't have my apartment anymore due to me being gone and I wanted a new location.

Mom came and let me know it was ready and as we sat in the kitchen the small talk started. She knew what had happened, the major details from the beginning to the end and I was thankful she didn't bring it up.

"So, what's your plans now? Did you make an appointment with the therapist?"

The hospital had recommended a good therapist and I'd made an appointment before I was discharged. "Yes. My first visit is the end of the week. I'm actually looking forward to it. It's a woman and I think it will help me get over all of this mess. Maybe help me get my life back on track."

"That's great! I think it will help you a lot. Even though I'm not a professional you know I'm here right?"

"Of course mom. I appreciate you. I plan on looking for a new apartment and before you get upset it's nothing to do with you. I need my own place and when I start therapy I'm going to go back to work. I want to try to go back to normal."

"Well you can stay here as long as you want. But I understand too."

I helped her clean up and went back to my room, getting my laptop out to look for places. Since I wasn't working I had to look for a smaller place but I'd had enough saved for places. I found a few I liked and was going to have mom go look with me.

By the time we ate dinner and mom went to bed I was restless. I couldn't find anything on tv I wanted to watch and I pulled out my phone and decided to look at jobs. I still had my position from my old job but I wasn't sure if I was ready to go back. I wanted a fresh start and not pity. Plus I wasn't ready to start traveling again so I found some and sent in my resume.

I felt productive and had made some progress and I was proud of myself. I wasn't going to let this bring me down because it wouldn't do any good to sit and think about it. However when it was even later and I was almost asleep my phone chimed with an unknown number text.

"I'm glad you're ok. Please call me."

I was curious and wanted to ask who it was, but I knew deep down it was him. Did I want to call him? Yes. Was I going to? I didn't know. It had been so long since I'd talked to him and he hadn't messaged or called me until now. I was pissed but I wanted to know what he had to say. Finally I gave in and dialed the number.