Mean Girls III

The entire school was in chaos when Connor Murphy wore pajama pants to school the next day. And the whole world practically fell apart when he didn't sit with the Plastics at lunch.

He was falling down the popular people hierarchy, down even past the pencil biters and the theatre geeks. He was deep into the ground, so irrelevant that, if his predictions were correct, people wouldn't even know his name by next month.

But right now, no one knew what to do.

As soon as he shut the driver's seat door of his car on the crisp November morning, people were staring. And he couldn't blame them; he looked like complete shit. He hadn't even bothered to brush his hair that morning, much less get dressed. They'd never seen him looking so real, so mundane. He'd always been this model of a perfect person, he was always dressed to perfection, always charismatic, always sweet and silent yet deadly if you came too close. But now he was walking into school with a JanSport backpack he'd found stuffed deep in his closet and a t-shirt with a faded picture of a band he'd never even heard of.

[He also may or may not have been high.]

Strolling down the halls of North Shore High, he could tell everyone was talking. Gossiping about the Instagram post that Zoe had put out the night before, but then suspiciously deleted 7 minutes later [although by then it didn't matter because the whole town was sharing it by then]. Whispering about how insanely awkward Evan Hansen was rumored to be an alien sent here to abduct Connor so he could rule the world. And about how Connor Murphy had allegedly left the Plastics and was now rogue, and more dangerous than ever before.

Well, part of that was true. He had indeed left the Plastics, but not because Zoe kicked him out. They had never actually talked about it. Neither had even spoken a word between each other after Connor managed to steal her phone and delete the post. They both just knew that it was the end of his reign over the school, and it was time to induct a new ruler.

Even if she was a little bitch.

That next morning Connor found his closet to be almost empty, with just about all of his clothes having been stolen and a nice little note on a flower shaped Post-It that read in a neat cursive:

Should've thought it through first before you went around kissing crazy people.

He then, in a rush of anger, sprinted down the hallway to find his sister's room all nice and clean and empty. With no traces of his flannels or ripped jeans or his sister to be found. So instead of lashing out at her, which he knew would get him nowhere, he decided to roll a joint and just not care anymore.

None of this mattered now. He was practically invisible anyways. But at least he had Evan, whom he knew for a fact loved him and was not an alien or secret Russian spy.

Evan Hansen didn't give a shit about what anyone said about him, mostly because he was oblivious to the rumors half the time. But Connor admired him for his resilience anyways. And he still loved him to pieces, no matter what anyone else thought.

And everyone had a lot of opinions to tell him at lunch that day. Especially one Jared Kleinman, whom Connor had never bothered to talk to because of all of the rumors he'd heard, which he'd come to realize were not true.

"You know what, Evan Hansen? I knew you were in a secret relationship this whole time," Jared proclaimed proudly as he plopped down next to his friend. "I mean, you've had this sort of lustful vibe about you ever since you sat with them, and you also have a terrible poker face."

Evan sighed and held his head in his hands. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that every time I passed you in the hallway, your face would turn best red and your eyes would sparkle liked you'd just been kissed for the first time," Connor gave the smaller boy a look. "You really can't..."

"So obviously you didn't learn your lesson then," long flowing locks of chocolate hair fell on their small table in the corner as Zoe leaned over it with a menacing glare.

"What lesson?" Her brother scoffed and took his boyfriend's hand in his protectively.

She pointed between the two of them. "I decided to be nice and give you one more chance."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Jared frowned, furrowing his eyebrows.

"It means, that if Connor breaks up with Evan right now, I'll let him back in and give him his clothes back," Zoe smiled innocently, although her eyes told a different story. "And if he doesn't, I've already found his replacement."

"Fuck you Zoe," Connor grumbled.

"Wait hold on, what did you do with his clothes?" Evan sat up a little straighter.

"Who the fuck cares? I'm living for this grunge/sleepwear look you've got going on," Jared pushed up his glasses and giggled while the taller of the three rolled his eyes, fixing his shirt self-consciously.

Zoe just sighed loudly at their idiocy. "Whatever, you have until the bell." She then waved her blue-nailed hand goodbye before strutting back to her table where Alana sat waiting.

As soon as she was out of earshot, Evan began to console his boyfriend, who looked like he was about to implode. "Con, it's not worth it, she's trying to make you angry, you just need..."

No. Connor was tired of caring about how people thought of him. He was tired of ruining people's lives and pretending like his was any better. He was tired of always having to be perfect and always having to be aware of what he said and when he said it. He was tired of being mean.

So he did what any logical person would do in this situation.

"And if you don't shut the fuck up and mind your own business, I'll tell this whole fucking school about your little secret," he yelled forcefully and stood up. The entire cafeteria fell silent at the sound of his voice. All eyes were on him now, so he couldn't screw this up.

Zoe tried to laugh it off. "I don't know what your talking about.

"Oh, but I think you do," he crossed his arms defiantly, taking a cautious step closer.

"Please tell me," she said, her voice strong although Connor could tell how nervous she was. "I'm so intrigued."

"You think I'm so unaware," he raised an eyebrow, smirking. "You think I don't know what goes on when you and Alana leave for the bathroom together?" The entire cafeteria gasped and dissolved into fits of whispering amongst each other.

Zoe stood speechless and looked to Alana for support, but she had averted her eyes to the floor and was twiddling her thumbs hopelessly. Connor just stood there with his crossed arms and knowing smirk.

Okay I'm done with these Mean Girls parts. I didn't realize how much you guys would have liked it though. It was fun to write, not going to lie.

 It was fun to write, not going to lie