EIGHTEEN

|18

|18.| NO CONTROL

IN THE BAYOU WHERE ALL THE WOLVES ARE REMAINING CALM, Cora goes into the shack with Hayley and Eve so they can help prepare her for giving birth. The pregnant wolf who is bigger in size due to the children she carries, she leans against Hayley for stability and takes deep breaths, following after Eve.

"That's it. Inhale and release," Eve says calmly and Cora places her hands on her stomach.

"I guess this means no epidural, huh? You sure I can't do this thing in, say, a hospital? The place with the doctors and the drugs?"

"Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you were born," Eve states and Cora gives her a look, considering she was born over a hundred years ago to be technical.

"In other words, stop worrying," Hayley helps her sit up and Cora huffs.

"Okay. Then what? I don't even know what it's like to have a good mother, let alone be one," Cora rests her elbows on her knees.

"Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do," Eve assured her.

"I hope so. As fun as it is to image Klaus changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing this alone," Cora looks down at her hands.

"I somehow doubt that."

Appearing at the doorway of the shack is Jason, softly knocking on the wood catching the girls's attention. Standing behind him is Elijah making himself known.

"Pardon the interruption. I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising," Elijah politely requests.

Cora gives him a confused look but nods anyways. She holds her hands out for Jason and he walks over, grabbing ahold of her hands heaving her up. Elijah watches as the two seem rather close and he looks away, knowing his little brother would be very upset to see this. They go to a more secluded place to talk amongst each other, Elijah asking about their deal with Klaus and the wolves answering as honest as possible.

"You're making a grave mistake."

"So, you're just worried about us. Is that it?" Oliver looks at him.

"Look, Elijah. We know all about your brother's reputation," Jackson starts off. "But if there is even a chance that these rings can help us take control of our curse—"

"—Our gift—" Oliver corrects his friend.

"—Then, honestly, we don't care what he's really after. Won't have to."

"I see. There are those in the Quarter who will consider this a great provocation.

"Apparently, most of them see us breathing the same way," Jason crosses his arms, earning a glare from the Original but he turns to Cora.