THIRTY-EIGHT

|38

|38.| MISSION SET

THE FRENCH QUARTER IS FILLED WITH PEOPLE. Cora and Jason walk down the streets of the French Quarter as the tribrid pushes the twins in a stroller meant for two. The couple talk to each other as they pass locals and tourists milling around the street, along with street musicians who are playing various instruments. Melody coos at Cora, who giggles and tickles the little girl as Hope opens and closes her hand towards a person.

"Well, Mrs. Salvatore-Marshall, what shall we see first in the quarter?" Jason smiles and looks to his wife who smiles back.

"Oh, Mr. Marshall, I'd ask to see your old haunts, but we do have two impressionable young ladies with us." Cora tickles both girls, and she giggles.

They come upon a violinist and flautist on the sidewalk, playing a duet together beautifully. Cora smiles and gasps to the girls as they giggle at their playing, instantly catching Melody's attention.

The flautist takes over the melody of the time completely before smiling and dramatically ending the song. Cora smiles back at the woman and drops some money into the violin case for the two musicians.

"Thanks!"

As the couple and twins walk away, the violinist starts playing a much slower tune along with the flautist. Cora pauses, looking unnerved as she looks over at the musicians, who is staring at them, and Jason looks at Cora in concern.

"That song... What is it?" Cora questions with her spine tingling in fear.

They look back at the musicians again, who stares at them creepily, and Cora quickly turns back around and starts walking alarmed. As they head down the street, Cora starts scanning their surroundings and sees a waiter writing a message onto the chalkboard outside of a restaurant that reads, "A promise made is a debt to be paid." The mother becomes even more alarmed, but tries her best to play it cool in case someone else is watching. Suddenly, they're stopped by a man holding a large, long-stemmed red and black flower in his hand.

"Flowers, miss." The flower salesman holds the flower to Melody specifically. "A gift for the child."

"Uh, no, we're alright. Thank you!" Jason steps in front of them protectively.

"You sure?" The flower salesman looks at him with a weird glint in his eye. Cora looks at the man suspiciously as he holds up the flower and smiles creepily. "Black dahlias are in bloom. They're quite lovely."

Cora starts to walk past him now fully afraid of always happening, but the man grabs her tightly by the arm as both of his eyes turn pure white. Out of nowhere, Klaus appears and shoves the man against a light post as he puts him in a choke-hold.

"Show yourself, witch," Klaus growls.

Suddenly, Jason is overwhelmed by an unknown force as the flower salesman's eyes return to normal. After a moment, Jason's eyes become pure white, indicating that he's being temporarily possessed by Dahlia.