THIRTY-NINE

|39

|39.| PROTECT THEM

THE WOLVES ARE PLACED IN ALGIERS protecting their most important treasure and keep their heads low since Dahlia is out for Melody. Cora sits on the step with Hope in her arms while her older sister sits their play pen.

"Okay. Good news? Dahlia still doesn't know that we're here. Bad news? She's given us until tomorrow night, and then she's coming for Melody," Cora mutters to Jason trying to keep her voice down. She stands up with holding Hope.

"Well, I say we get the hell out of here," Jason mutters back and steps with her towards the play pen.

"Look, Jase, I wanna go as much as you do, but think—Freya said that Dahlia was drawn to Melody's magic," Cora whispers and sighs. "No matter how far we go, she's still gonna be able to track us! At least this place is spelled—no one can do magic here, not Melody or Dahlia."

"Yea, this place is spelled, but we've seen bigger magic than this break. I say we run while we can," Hayley joins her brother and sister-in-law. Cora sets Hope in her play pen and she coos as she looks around.

"It's a risk either way," Cora looks at Melody in concern. "She's just so little. It's not fair—witchcraft, magical spells. She didn't ask for any of this."

The tribrid stops for a minute and the hybrid perks up with an idea. "...Which means that she wouldn't miss it if it was gone..."

The married couple l look at her in confusion and she looks to them both.

"Maybe that's it? Dahlia could only sense her when she's using magic. So, what if there's a way of stopping her from doing it in the first place?" Hayley questions and Jason frowns.

"She's just a baby. How are we gonna do that?"

"I have an idea." Cora says reluctantly. "Although... it's dangerous. Especially now."

"Let me do it." The siblings and Cora turn to look at Aiden who volunteered himself. They look at him concerned, but he gives them a solemn look. "Look, whatever it is, it's my fault you didn't get away yesterday."

"No, that wasn't your fault, Aiden," Jason shakes his head.

"Please, just give me a chance to make it up to you," Aiden pleads anxiously. The two alphas look at each other and Jason nods at his friend in agreement.

-

After stealing something out of Klaus's possession, Aiden goes to the people Cora had told him she could trust with their situation. Aiden knocks on the door of the Keeling residence and is greeted by Susie who looks at him confused. Without questioning, Victor invites him inside and they go downstairs to their basement where they practice their magic.