TWENTY-FOUR

|24

|24.| BIGGER PROBLEM

THE MOON HAD SET AND THE SUN MAKES ITS APPEARANCE IN THE SKY. Cora wakes up with a sigh not feeling such a brute but the feeling still lingers along with sadness. Hayley expected to see her brother yesterday with the pack of Crescents, but he was nowhere to be found. She assumed Cora would know since they have spent some time together. Unfortunately the tribrid has no idea of his whereabouts.

Cora gets dressed for the day, wearing dark colors as usual and she walks downstairs to the courtyard to see a table full of breakfast dishes. A small smile appears on her face and she picks up a grape, popping it into her mouth. Klaus notices the table of breakfast automatically assuming Cora had set this up.

"So, which restaurant's missing a compelled chef?" Cora asks. Her questions throws off the hybrid as his assumption was executed.

"It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this," Klaus gestures to the food on the table for emphasis.

Cora gums and stands beside him, looking at the food. "Well, then, I guess we have Elijah to thank? Or Mary."

"This wasn't my doing," Elijah says as he walks down the stairs to meet the couple.

"I'm not no chef and I surely wouldn't do this for any of you," Mary walks over with her arms crossed.

"Then, where did this all come from?" Cora friend look at the three standing around.

The silver lid on the platter suddenly begins to rattle, startling Cora and Mary so much that they jump in fright for a moment. Klaus looks uneasy and lifts the platter, which releases two starlings that fly up toward the ceiling, causing the four to reflexively duck to avoid being hit. They all look puzzled and nervous, wondering who would do this.

"Guess they didn't bother to kill the food," Cora mumbles and looks at the folded up paper on the silver platter. "What's that?"

Klaus reaches for the folded up piece of paper and opens it, revealing an invitation. "An invitation from our mother."

The four try to find ways to figure out Esther's intentions on inviting them to dinner tonight and simply how to stop her from whatever she's planning. Cora walks into Klaus's room to see him standing out at the balcony not removing his eyes from the invitation. She huffs and lays on his bed, quickly remembering who were in the same bed months ago and she cringes at the thought. Klaus walks back inside the room and sets down the invitation on the small table.

"It is times like this I'm really glad I never knew my mother," Cora stares up at the ceiling and sits up. "I mean, she really only wants me for my power."

"We have enough enemies here. And now, the war for our home is to be fought against my own family," Klaus sighs frustratingly.

"Your wretched mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through our baby's heart." Cora grits her teeth at the flashback of seeing Melody on an altar, almost killed by the hands of Genevieve. "I will happily add to the body count, you know, ripper and all"