THIRTY

|30

|30.| I'LL NEVER LEAVE YOU

THE PARENTS SPEED THEIR WAY TO THE SAFE HOUSE where Klaus had instructed Rebekah to go to. Cora intended to tell Nik about the news about the new step she is taking for her pack which is by marrying Jason. The hybrid had no focus on the thing she wanted to tell him, so he didn't bother to ask about it since he is desperate to see the daughters he has not seen since the day they faked their deaths.

In the safe house Elijah sits on the porch watching over Hope as she lays in her baby seat, Victor rocks Melody in his arms and Rebekah sets up firewood for a family tradition. She looks back at the men admiring the small humans and a smile appears onto her lips, continuing to stack the wood.

"It's alright, Elijah. She won't break." Rebekah speaks up to her brother since he has yet to remove his eyes off his niece. "Everything you did was in the name of protecting her and Melody. I'm not worried."

Although their nieces are not in danger at the moment, Elijah still keeps his guard up in the name of his nieces. He picks up Hope out of her baby seat and holds her close while glancing towards Melody to make sure she is in no harm, but he trusts Victor. The noble brother removes his eyes off his niece and watches his sister gather more wood.

"Is that what I think it is?" Elijah asks and Rebekah walks back toward Victor holding Melody and smiles happily.

"It's bonfire season! And I am reviving a family tradition. Especially since we're all going to be together," Rebekah beams in excitement and stands next to the witch.

"Only because we're fleeing from one of our deranged parents. Another Mikaelson tradition," Elijah states and Rebekah sighs at his statement.

Victor looks down at his niece, not having a clue
what family tradition they're talking about since he has never had any of his own. Although he has been by his family's side for as long as he can remember, it's not like they had a strong relationship as the Mikaelsons do. His mother has always obsessed over power and an unknown sister who has the power she seeks. The only strong bond he has is with his sisters Mary and Susie.

"It's a peculiar thing—never to be tired, yet forever exhausted by the sameness of things." Elijah continues and looks at Hope. "Why is our family always at war?"

"I don't know," Rebekah smiles sadly and holds Melody's small hand. "But, being away with the girls made me see things differently."

"We're not so bad. We're not the monsters that our parents think we are," Rebekah says softly to her niece and Victor slightly smiles at her gentleness.

The sound of a vehicle approaching makes the vampires look over to see Klaus and Cora's SUV driving down the dirt road towards the house. Before Klaus has the chance to park, Cora opens the door and hops out of the passenger seat, running towards them. She stops in her tracks as soon as she sees Hope, as though she can't believe her eyes. Her eyes shift to Melody as she coos in her brother's arms. The trio smile at her arrival and notice as Klaus catches up with them. Elijah wastes no time and gently hands Hope over to Cora.