TWENTY-SEVEN

|27

|27.| SAME BLOOD

CORA LOOKS OUT OVER THE FRENCH QUARTER from the balcony of the nursery when she's suddenly startled by the sounds of tortured screaming. She frowns in confusion and returns inside, following the noise to Klaus' bedroom, where the hybrid has blood splattered all over his hands and face, and is washing up in his sink.

"Oh. So, I see your interrogation went well?" Cora crosses her arms.

Klaus looks at himself in the mirror while he washes up. "Eh, it turns out these witches are delicate creatures. No matter! I suspected my mother had Elijah captive."

"Great. Let's go find them," Cora nods, but Klaus shakes his head as he walks toward her to face her.

"Esther is too powerful. She won't be easily found. I need to draw her out," Klaus states and Cora gives him a look.

"You do realize I'm powerful than Esther?"

"And you do realize that Esther has more experience with her magic than you do?" The girl gives him a glare and Klaus goes to shut the sliding doors, but Cora stops him.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"I'm going to change my shirt, and then I'm going to find my brother." The hybrid smiles patronizingly and is about to shut the doors again when Cora once again stops him.

"Klaus, let me come with you," Cora says annoyed with him pushing her away.

Klaus sighs deeply and walks toward her. "I know you want to help, Cora, but you can't. My mother is wretched. She will target you in order to thwart me, and I can't very well save Elijah if I'm busy saving you, can I?"

Cora looks up at the hybrid with an annoyed look, but remains silent. Klaus finally shuts the doors and prepares his plans, leaving her to consider her options. She taps her foot and walks out of the room, walking down the steps to see Hayley passing by. She grabs her arm to stop her and the hybrid gives her a weird look.

"Hey, what's up?"

"You wanna go on a rescue mission?"

Without asking, Hayley nods as a reply and the two girls leave the compound. Back at Marcel's loft, Gia returns to the place and informs him of what she has found while searching the city.

"I did like you said—I kept a low profile, went all over the city. There's no sign of Elijah anywhere," Gia walks down the steps.

"Yeah, the humans I know said the same thing." Marcel slightly sighs. "Maybe Klaus is having better luck?"

"No, he's not, which sucks, considering how low the bar is around here." Cora walks inside with Hayley behind and the two vampires look at her in confusion. "Listen, you two up for a rescue mission?"