3 - Work for Money

Chen Ming Yu arrived at the Bounty Hall after thinking for some time if she will go to the Battle of Honor. And she decided that she will go. For the knowledge, she will gain and for the journey, she will take.

She looks at the task board to find some request or appealing work. Some of the requests are to gather a monster and beast spirit core. And some of them are just too simple task like washing dishes, buy them some magic papers, taking of their child and so on. Come on! Can't you do that yourself?

Hmm?

A request that is on the edge of the task board caught Chen Ming Yu's attention. She pulled the paper and read what was written on it.

Steal a Phoenix egg in the Overlooked Mountain...

First Payment: 50,000 gold coins.

End Payment after the request is achieved: 200,000 gold coins.

"I'll take this."

"Little girl, are you taking that expedition?" An old man asked while holding a flask of sake.

Chen Ming Yu nodded.

"You should not take that request. It will end your life."

"You don't know if you didn't try. And besides, I'm not afraid if the scythe touches my neck."[1]

"Trust me. Overlooked Mountain is now more dangerous after the Phoenix resided in that mountain. I know you have some guts so if you want to go, you should prepare and equipped yourself."

"Thank you for the reminder."

After talking to the old man Chen Ming Yu goes to the counter to register her name to the list of person who will be taking the job.

"You can meet the others tomorrow at the town square. The person who requests this will see you there and accompany you through the journey. You can also get the first payment to him."

Chen Ming Yu didn't utter a word. She goes back to the lobby of the Bounty Hall where the drunk old man talks to her.

"What's wrong little girl?"

"I need you to tell me about the Overlooked Mountain."

"I already told you, it's dangerous. There are monsters and spirit beast out there, waiting for its food to come. Maybe you will end up in its stomach as well."

"I don't do work that I'm not confident with. I have a feeling that I have the stars of luck in my side. I come here to work for money and I won't let myself be eaten."

"Little girl, what's your name?"

"Chen Ming Yu."

"Here." The old man tossed something to Chen Ming Yu and when she grasped it. It was a ring made of iron that has a carving of a sword on it.

"You can use that. It will help you in the future. I'm already old, might as well give you that. Take it as a gift for this old man." The old man stands up from his seat. Leaving Chen Ming Yu staring at his departing back.

It's already morning and Chen Ming Yu had finished preparing herself for the journey. She brings her sword and places it on her back. She also brings the twin daggers that she used when she hunts for food.

For 7 years, Chen Ming Yu trains herself to become stronger. Although she was not bullied anymore because no one knows her in this small city, she still tries to train herself every day.

Only by becoming strong that she will able to live.

After witnessing her adopted grandparents died...

The reason why she's wearing an eye-patch in her right eye was that she couldn't take it anymore. She blinded her right eye intentionally and put an eye patch on to cover its terrible scar. She doesn't want to see it again. It's too much to take it all in. That's why she did it.

That old couple was her last straw...

Chen Ming Yu arrived at the square. There are many brawny men wearing their armors. Their faces are stoic and serious. As soon as they saw Chen Ming Yu all these men looked at her with astonishment.

A little girl like her wants to do the work?

They sneered and laugh in their hearts as they saw Chen Ming Yu stand behind them as if answering their questions that she will be participating in their journey.

This girl won't survive.

"Little girl are you sure that you're participating in this expedition?" A middle-aged man asked with a look of concern.

"Yes."

"Your life may be cut short in this. The overlooked mountain is very dangerous."

"Who said I will end up dead. Let just see." She answered indifferently to the old man.

"Come with our group so that we can protect you."

"Head, we don't need some burden to go with us."

"Mercenary Head of the Flame Demons, your subordinate is right. You should never carry someone who's only a burden." said the Head of the Raging Blizzard Mercenary.

Chen Ming Yu's eyebrow crease and her gaze turn sharp as she looked at the Head of the Raging Blizzard Mercenary.

At the same time, when the Head of the Raging Blizzard Mercenary meets her gaze, his entire body instantly shivered.

Those eyes...is like chilling my bare soul. Who is this little girl in the end to have such stares?

"Don't worry about me. You can mind your own business." Chen Ming Yu tried herself to be more polite but it seems like she doesn't know the words to appear polite to the other person.

"Okay then. If you need any help you can just come with my group."

Chen Ming Yu nodded and she didn't know why her heart feels a little warm.

A moment later. Several black-robed men arrive in the square. Their appearance looked cold and prideful. They looked at all the people who wanted to partake in the journey with contempt and disdain in their eyes, but as soon as they face the crowd that contempt and disdain immediately disappeared.

Of course, a little someone never misses those contempt and disdain in their eyes. Who wouldn't know that look? Chen Ming Yu laugh coldly inside.

She, who's very familiar with those had already been numb by that contemptuous kind of look.

You've given the wrong person that look, brother. Chen Ming Yu thought.

She was already branded as a liar, a monster, a demon and was chased out by the villagers while giving her that kind of looks. What else can she do? Those scornful looks had already been imprinted on her skin when she was still a child.

"Gentlemen...and Lady. I am the person who calls all of you today to steal the egg of the Phoenix. Those who come will get 50,000 gold coins as the first payment. All of you are here with one common goal. If one needs help, you should help. If one does not, then mind your own business."

The youth in the middle of the several black robe men talked as he glances at everyone. It seems that this youth is the one who gives the order. He's definitely strong. But why does he needs people if all of them are strong?

Chen Ming Yu narrowed her eyes as she observes the youth and the several people behind him.

Such strong aura... But why does he needs this so many people?

Don't tell me... He needs us as a sacrifice...

Just how dangerous is the Overlooked Mountain?

[Q: Overlooked Mountain is one of the largest mountains in the whole continent. Full of dangerous animals that feed on human flesh.]

[Q: (1)Meaning - Not afraid of death using his scythe to take her soul]