The Missing Watch

"Seokjin-ah! Let's go for lunch! I'm hungry..."

Jieun looked up. Jisoo was clinging onto Seokjin's arm.

"I'm not hungry," Jieun heard Seokjin answer. "And I've got a lot of work to catch up on."

"Ya!" Jisoo sounded upset. "You still have to eat, right?"

"I really have no appetite, Jisoo," Seokjin sighed. "You go ahead."

"Fine." Jisoo stormed out of the classroom.

Jieun saw Seokjin turn his head, glancing at Byulyi's empty seat. This was the first time Byulyi had ever been absent from school. Seokjin and Jieun made eye contact and both of them looked away immediately.

Jieun wanted to go talk to Seokjin, but then she hesitated. They hadn't talked in weeks.

"Jieun, can we talk?"

Jieun had been so absorbed in her thoughts that she hadn't realised that Lisa was standing in front of her table.

"Oh, Lisa-" Jieun tried not to look too shocked. "Um... sure."

Lisa took a seat at Hoseok's table. "I just wanted to say... About the incident that happened during PE lesson last Friday..."

"Mmhmm?"

"I'm sorry," Lisa twirled her hair between her fingers. "I really didn't mean it. You see, as a sportsperson, I'm really competitive. So, I might have come across as too aggressive. I take full responsibility for my actions."

"Oh-" This really wasn't the reaction Jieun was expecting from Lisa. She thought she hated her. "I thought you didn't like me or something-"

"What?!" Lisa laughed. "You're kidding! No way!"

"Well..." Jieun hesitated. "You seemed to look for Jungkook every time I wasn't around and when I came, you'd give me a really cold look. During the project time, you looked like you weren't too fond of me either. Every time I talked to you, you always replied with one word answers. You really don't hate me?"

"I can't believe I gave you that impression!" Lisa laughed yet again. "I just have a naturally pissed face, I guess. And I left because I didn't want to disrupt the two of you-"

"What?"

"Aren't the two of you very close or something?" Lisa asked. "You guys look close."

"Well..." Jieun felt her face getting a bit hot. "Well, I guess... If you put it that way, I guess we're quite-"

"See? I knew it." Lisa laughed. "Anyway, I don't hate you, Jieun. I hope we can get along in the future."

Jieun smiled. "Of course, I'd be more than happy to be friends with you.

"Jieun!"

Jieun heard Yoojung's voice coming and turned around. She saw Yoojung and the gang walking back from lunch. Yoojung ran towards Jieun, standing in front of her with her arms open, putting a distance between her and Lisa.

"What does she want?" She whispered to Jieun, her eyes following Lisa's every move.

"She apologised, Yoojung. It's alright," Jieun laughed, pushing Yoojung out of the way gently.

"Thanks, Jieun," Lisa got up from Hoseok's seat. "I'll see you later." Lisa stole a quick glance at Jungkook. "Annyeong."

Jungkook looked away, handing Jieun her bag of food. "Bulgogi."

"Oh- t-thanks."

Lisa walked off.

"What did she say?" Yoojung asked suspiciously.