Competition, Pt. 1

"So... How are you feeling right now?" Taehyung swung back and forth on the swing, glancing at Jieun, looking concerned.

This was the same thing that happened a week or so ago, except there were a couple of differences. Jieun's leg had recovered, it was during sunset instead of night time and most importantly... Taehyung was comforting Jieun instead.

Jieun frowned, looking at the sandy floor of the playground. "Mixed feelings."

"You walked home, didn't you?" Taehyung asked. "You didn't even go to the mart, you just walked home so you could think."

Jieun nodded silently.

"Care to share some of your thoughts with me? Perhaps I can help make you feel better," Taehyung smiled. "The way you helped me before."

Jieun hesitated. "I don't even know anymore... My life is in such a mess I can't even bring myself to cry. I changed schools, thinking I could have a new start, but everything just ended the same way."

Taehyung frowned. He really wanted to help Jieun the way she helped him but he really had noidea what to say to console Jieun. "Well..."

"It didn't end."

Jieun and Taehyung turned around only to see Jungkook standing a distance away. They were both surprised to see him, just as surprised as Jungkook was to see the two of them together.

"Jungkook, what are you doing here-" Jieun began.

"To bring you good news?" Jungkook turned to look at Taehyung suspiciously. "What are you doing here?"

Taehyung chuckled. "Bro, you're here too, so why can't I be here?"

"How do you even know where she lives?" Jungkook side glanced Taehyung.

"Well, I have my ways." Taehyung laughed. "Plus, it's not like it's my first time here."

Jungkook frowned, but he pretended not to mind. "Oh."

"How do you know where I live?" Jieun asked, frowning at Jungkook.

"Well, I have my ways," Jungkook said, still watching Taehyung closely.

"So what good news did you bring?"

Jungkook smiled slightly, turning his attention back onto Jieun. ""You... can stay in school."

"What?!" Jieun couldn't believe her ears. She was so happy she jumped for joy, throwing her arms around Jungkook's neck and hugging him before she knew it.

Jungkook froze for a second but patted her back awkwardly, just when Jieun realised what she was doing and let go immediately. "Sorry," Jieun let out an awkward mechanical laugh.

Jungkook let out a small "hm".

"Oh my god, Jieun!" Taehyung came running over, about to hug Jieun when Jungkook blocked his way, receiving the hug instead.

Taehyung raised an eyebrow, staring at Jungkook. Jungkook shrugged. The two of them were staring at each other, as if they were about to eat each other up.

Based on what Jieun knew, Taehyung and Jungkook used to be close in the past, but never been that close in the recent years. In fact, Jungkook hardly spoke to him - in F5, he was usually talking to either Yoojung or her.

But what was with this atmosphere?

Jieun laughed awkwardly, forcing herself between the two boys, separating them from each other. "Wait, you really mean I can stay in school? But why? How? Just like that? Did you guys manage to find the culprit or something?"