Show or Pretend

"Really? This place is expensive, Taehyung. I can't possibly-" Byulyi exclaimed when Taehyung and her reached outside the restaurant later that day.

"Nah, it isn't-" Taehyung said, pushing and holding the door open for Byulyi. "It's a popular restaurant nowadays - take it as I really wanna eat here, alright?"

"I-"

"Hurry up-" Taehyung pretended to hold on to his arm in pain. "My arm's cramping up!"

"Fine," Byulyi sighed as she walked up the stairs to the restaurant.

The two of them walked into the restaurant. It was a typical kind of restaurant youngsters frequented, but also a luxury Byulyi couldn't afford. They were brought to a table at a booth near the window and the two sat down opposite each other.

"What would you like to have?" A waitress appeared next to their table, ready to take their order.

Byulyi scanned the menu, evidently looking for the cheapest dish they served. "I'll have a caesar-"

"Two ribeye steaks, please," Taehyung interjected. "Done medium-well."

"Sure," the waitress smiled, jotting down the order. "Is that all, sir?"

"And give us... two cans of coke, please."

"That will be two ribeye steaks and two cans of coke, is that right?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Thank you, sir." The waitress smiled, picked up the menus and walked away.

That was when Taehyung realised that Byulyi was staring at him, mouth hanging open.

Taehyung laughed. "What?"

"That's... a bit too much."

Taehyung frowned slightly. "Is it burdensome?"

Byulyi hesitated, then nodded slowly. "To be honest... very."

"Please, Byulyi. I always wanted to give you a treat." Taehyung frowned. "I like treating people to food, it makes me really happy. So in a sense, you're kind of helping me... in a way?"

Byulyi didn't know how to respond.

"As long as you enjoy the food, that will be the best way of thanking me."

A slight pause.

"You know," Byulyi said quietly. "You and Seokjin may be twins but... it still scares me how similar you guys are."

"What?" Taehyung laughed. Then he smirked. "Is it the killer visuals?"

"I mean..." Byulyi thought for a while. "Killer visuals aside, you both have amazing personalities. Generous, kind-hearted, easy to get along..."

The waitress arrived with their drinks. "Here are your drinks, please enjoy."

"Thank you," Taehyung and Byulyi said politely.

The two of them took a sip of their drinks.

Taehyung chuckled. "Why don't you have a crush on me, then?"

Byulyi looked up from her drink in surprise. "What?"

"You said me and Seokjin have similar personalities and appearances... why don't you have a crush on me then?"

"I don't get what you're saying," Byulyi tried to brush him off.

"Come on, Byulyi." Taehyung took another sip of his drink, evidently thoroughly enjoying this. "We've had this conversation before. I know you have a crush on him. Since like... decades ago."

Byulyi stiffened. "No, you don't. Because I don't have a crush on him."

"You're just saying that because he's attached and you don't want to interfere between them," Taehyung frowned. "But I've seen the looks on your face, Byulyi. You really can't act well - I'm surprised Seokjin still has no idea you have a crush on him."

And you have no idea he has a crush on you either.

"Stop, Taehyung." Byulyi wasn't feeling it at all. "So what if I have a crush on him? I'm not gonna act on it anyway. I'll get over-"

"Literally what you've probably been thinking ever since they got together," Taehyung sighed. "Byulyi, I know you don't wanna be a home-wrecker but if only you knew that Seokjin also-"

"Enough," Byulyi swallowed hard. "Enough, Taehyung. I don't want to talk about this anymore."

You guys are blind, Taehyung thought, shaking his head slightly. "Okay, I'm sorry."

"Here's your meal, please enjoy." The waitress walked over with their steaks, setting the plates down in front of them.

The meal continued in silence.

"What about the earpiece, then?" Taehyung asked quietly.

Byulyi looked up - her eyes were slightly red. "What earpiece?"

Taehyung raised his eyebrows at the sight of Byulyi's face, but pretended to not notice it. "This afternoon, when I came back from lunch."

"Huh?"

"Your earpiece wasn't plugged in - you weren't listening to any music." Taehyung frowned. "Why?"

Byulyi swallowed hard, her voice cracking slightly when she spoke again. "Sometimes, when you're alone, that's the best way to show that you aren't lonely."

"Show... or pretend?"