The Party, Pt. 19

Thoughts flooded Seokjin's mind. He trudged along in the dark, with the girl he loved, completely wasted, on his back; the girl whose heart he had broken and whose trust he had shattered probably crying somewhere; and he had no idea what to do. He moved along, weighed down by Byulyi's unexpectedly heavy body, but more weighed down by the thoughts that burdened him.

What should he do from here? Jisoo had given him her full blessing to be together with Byulyi, but things weren't easy as it seemed. Seokjin had thought that things would be easier once he broke up with Byulyi, but the guilt that came with it made Seokjin feel terrible. Would he be able to forgive himself and live happily ever after with-

"Let me down..." Byulyi stirred.

"Ah, you're awake?" Seokjin turned briefly, only to be greeted by Byulyi flailing her arms randomly, causing him to stagger.

"Let me down! Who are you? Let me down! Stranger danger!"

"Ya! Moon Byulyi! Don't move, I'm Seokjin-" Seokjin exclaimed. "I'm taking you home, can you not-"

"Seokjin?!" Byulyi yelled, continuing to flail her arms frantically.. "No, you're not Seokjin! Seokjin is busy with Jisoo, he can't be here! Let me down! Help!!!"

"Ya!" Seokjin was used to this habit of hers, being all types of crazy when she's intoxicated, but he was struggling to stay upright. "If you move some more we're both gonna fall!"

"Let me go!!!" Byulyi smacked Seokjin on the head, really hard - so hard that the smack could be heard from a mile away.

"YA!!!"

Seokjin somehow managed to manoeuvre himself such that he didn't drop her on the ground, but plopped her down safely on a nearby bench, as he flopped down right next to her, completely worn out from the journey.

Seokjin looked at Byulyi, sighing deeply, before running his fingers through his hair. "Ah, what am I supposed to do with you..."

"You're not Seokjin, don't try to fool me."

"I am!" Seokjin exclaimed. "I'm Jin!"

"You're not Jin," Byulyi frowned, now talking to herself. "I haven't seen Jin in a few months. You can't be him."

"I am Jin."

"No, Jin makes me laugh all the time, Jin makes me love myself, Jin makes me want to be a better person, Jin talks to me, Jin puts me first, Jin protects me, Jin cracks weirdass dad jokes that I somehow find funny, Jin makes me... happy," Byulyi swallowed hard, shaking her head as if to shake away her drunkenness.

Jin makes me... happy.

Those words his Seokjin hard. "And I don't?"

Byulyi shook her head. "No one does, except for him."

"But I am Jin."

"No, you're not," Byulyi laughed woefully. "Jin's gone, and he'll never come back."

Seokjin was so taken aback be didn't even know how to respond immediately. He had changed, he knew he had changed, but he didn't know Byulyi had felt this way. Sure, she may be intoxicated. But as the saying goes, a drunk mind speaks a sober heart.

"Do you want him back?" Seokjin managed, turning to look at Byulyi. It was dark, but he could make out her face slightly and... she looked sad.

"I do," Byulyi laughed. "I sure do. I sure loved him."

Seokjin bit his lower lip. "Loved?"

Byulyi hesitated for a split second. "Love. I still love him."

That was all Seokjin needed. All he needed to make him feel like it was worth it. As those few words struck his heart, Seokjin felt alive once more. It was as if he saw the light at the end of the tunnel. It was like a glimmer of hope, the small push he need to make him turn his regret and anger towards himself into action for change. To become a better person, to never make the same mistake again, to love her the way he wasn't able to. Seokjin smiled.

"Thank you."