// 4 : Ciel //

Ciel Phantomhive's eye opened to see his bedroom, darkened with shadow. He scanned the room for any sign of life until he realized the butler who usually woke him had his arms wrapped around him. The memories of yesterday quickly caught up to his drowsy mind.

"I'm sorry, Ciel..." Sebastian Michaelis whispered. 

Ciel stared in awe at the sleeping man beside him, as Sebastian's eyes had tears streaming down them.

He had never seen Sebastian cry. He had thought it impossible. Even more shocking was hearing the name "Ciel" instead of master. Another first. 

"Sebastian?" Ciel said, lightly shaking him. Suddenly, he jolted up, tears falling from his crimson eyes.

He looked horrible, his eyes had tears running down them, dark strands of hair out of place or tangled together, sweat covering his pale body. He was breathing heavily.

"Sebastian, are you alright?" Ciel asked.

"I-I'm terribly sorry young master... Wait, what am I doing here? In your bed?" Sebastian said, and Ciel swore he saw the man blush before covering his face with his hands.

"I found you lying in the garden, so I carried you here. Being the kind master I am, I suppose I'll excuse your unbefitting behavior."

Ciel smiled lightheartedly, but Sebastian's face still seemed ashamed.

"I didn't mind your presence. You made a good pillow." 

"Ah... I suppose that warrants a thank you, master." Sebastian said quietly, removing his hands from his face.

"Sebastian, did you have... A nightmare, possibly?" Ciel asked.

Sebastian furrowed his eyebrows for a moment, as if he was thinking.

"I'm not personally familiar with the human concept of a 'nightmare'... However, that may be sufficient to explain it. Young master?" 

Ciel gently placed a hand on Sebastian's cheek, wiping an errant tear away with his thumb. He stared at the man in silence for a moment, considering him. 

"Don't cry because of me, Sebastian. That's an order." Ciel said softly.

"Yes, my lord." Sebastian responded, before quickly retreating from his master (and his bed). 

After the pair were dressed, Mey-Rin suddenly appeared, looking flustered and adorned with pink ribbons.

"Master, Sebastian, Elizabeth is here!" She said, panting heavily as if she had been running.

"Oh." Came a low growl from Sebastian.

Ciel noted this, but continued on.

"Very well. Sebastian, prepare some tea for my bethroted. I will go to meet her." He said, and made his way to the parlor.

Lo and behold, there stood Elizabeth, dressed in head to toe in pink ribbons and lace, blonde hair tied into drills as usual. Her green eyes sparkled with excitement, and she barreled towards Ciel.

"Ciel! It's been so long, too long!" She exclaimed. 

Ciel sighed heavily, "Sebastian, please see to breakfast." 

"Yes, my lord." The butler looked irritated at the mere prescene of the girl.

Sebastian bowed and walked away, ready to prepare breakfast. Ciel turned his attention to Elizabeth. She smiled.

"Ciel, aren't you excited for the wedding!? I know I am! I'm going to have the prettiest dress, and you are going to look soooooo handsome! I'll make sure of it!"

At this point, Ciel had tuned Elizabeth out and found himself thinking of his butler. The usually smug demon had clearly been distant recently, and Ciel knew it had something to do with his betrothed. The thing was, he wasn't ready to choose between his future as a businessman or his butler. He wasn't sure if he'd ever be ready for that choice.