Chapter 80.

It had to be eleven in the evening as I walked alone down the road. I just wanted to get away from everyone right now. My heart racing, tears welling up in my eyes. I pushed them back, trying to stay strong.

I heard voices behind me, calling out my name. They couldn't see me from the shadows out. I made a turn through the park and ran, passing the small pond, the empty playground, out the other side.

I was walking when I heard a car horn. I turned to see Paul..in my car. I sighed and kept walking.

"Come on Lucy get in!" He yelled through the open window. I kept walking.

"You'll freeze!"

I swallowed and sighed.

"Paul just...go away!" I yelled. "I don't want to go home. I don't want to see him."

"Then ye don't have to! Come on get inside!"

I stopped and looked at him. He just watched as I walked around and got into the passengers side.

"So then, where are we going??" I asked looking at him.

"Over to mine." He said staring straight at the road.

...

"Um, it's not much but...yeah alright it's shit." He said, setting the keys on a small table. I looked around and nodded.

"It's not bad." I said sitting on the small sofa. I sighed and looked up at him.

"Are you going to tell him where I am?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Not if ye don't want me to."

"Thanks." 

He just nodded.

"So um, d'you want anythin to drink? Tea?"

"No thanks. I'm just tired." I said looking down. He walked over to me and sat beside me.

"You can sleep in my bed alright? I'll take the sofa."

I scoffed. "Paul, you won't be able to fit on here. Plus, i'm the guest, I'll take the sofa."

"We'll share the bed alright?" He said.

I nodded and stood up, following him to his bedroom.

...

I was laying on my side, staring at the wall when I felt him finally lay next me. He yawned and stayed quiet for a few seconds before speaking.

"Have ye heard from Stu lately?"

I turned to face him and shook my head. "No. Have you?"

He shook his head, staring at the ceiling.

"No...I miss him ye know. When were up there on stage it's just so foreign to not see him beside me anymore."

"He's doing what he loves. Painting. Art. He's moved on."

"Yeah. He's free." Paul whispered. I watched as he turned his head to look at me.

"I'm sorry about John. He's...he's just so stupid sometimes. You 'ave to understand, he doesn't mean to hurt anyone. Especially you. He loves ye Lucy."

I shook my head. "I know he does but...i'm tired of being second best you know? Were just going around in circles over and over again and in the end..I'm the person getting hurt."

"What about George?"

"George is a kid. He has a whole life ahead of him and he can't be wasting it on his feelings for me. I hurt him just by being with John and....it hurts me the most knowing I'm causing him pain. Either way, I lose."

He scooted closer and wrapped his arms around me, holding me close.

"One day Lucy, John will realise how much of a fool he was to treat ye like this. How much he should 'ave fought for ye and...how beautiful you really are."

It wasn't until now I realised he was shirtless. My head resting on his smooth, warm skin. I looked up at him.

"You think i'm beautiful?" I whispered. He blushed a little and nodded.

"Of course."

We just stared at each other for a few seconds, then leaned in, pressing our lips against each others.

....