Chapter 15

Next morning I woke up to the scent of oatmeal, fresh titi Bea oatmeal and it made my stomach growl. As soon as I used the bathroom and brushed my teeth I went out to the kitchen and there was a bowl with a glass of orange juice sitting next to it on the island.

"How did you . . ."

"I know my children." Titi Bea said.

"You heard the bathroom sink." I chuckled, sitting at the island.

"I did but I also know my children, no matter what time you go to sleep you're always up by 10." she said.

"I guess that's true." I replied, thinking about it now.

"What are you gonna do today pumpkin?"

"Why aren't you at work?" I asked her.

"It's not every day that I get to have all of my babies at home. I made Anna her pop tarts and iced tea, Marie her fruit salad and Lucas had oatmeal as well."

"What time did you wake up at?"

"Oh just around 7, later than I normally do. It felt great, now what are your plans for the day?"

"Oh I'm just gonna stick around for a while, spoil your grandson, probably pick Anna up from school."

"You heading back to your apartment tonight?"

"Yeah, I've got plans tomorrow night and I've gotta get an outfit for tomorrow."

"Big date?"

"Something like that." I said, thinking about my decision to go on this date.

"No, no, no, I can see you going to that place in your head. Whoever this person is don't second guess it just yet. Go on the date and see how things go, don't let that asshole dictate your life. If you don't go on this date you're letting him win and he's not worth it." she said, shocking me into silence.

"Titi Bea, I . . ."

"What? Just because I'm getting older doesn't mean I don't see things. You've kept that beautiful heart of yours under lock and key for almost a year now. I want to see my little girl happy like you used to be and I saw you looking at your phone last night. Whoever he is he makes you smile, really smile and I'll be grateful for that."

"You are something else you know that?" I asked her, walking over to her side of the island to hug her.

"Of course I am, it's up to me to be the cool one out of the three of us." she said, shrugging her shoulders.

"Of course you are."

I spent the day in the kitchen with her and Marcus while Marie took care of some things. As I told my aunt I went and picked up Anna at her school which meant it took me forever to actually get out of there. I didn't consider the possible ramifications of showing up with a 2019 vehicle to a high school then add the fact that I'm me.

Anna was loving the attention though, everyone wanted to talk to her once they saw her walking up to my SUV. I gave her best friends a ride home and her boyfriend too. Now her mother doesn't know about the boyfriend so I made sure we stopped and deodorized my car before we got to the house. I don't need or want a dirty, sweaty boy smell in my SUV.

I helped my titi get dinner ready and after we ate I was on my way. Lucas was informed that he will be getting his tickets in the mail unless I get them before I leave. Going back to the condo took a while, especially since this time I'm completely alone. A call came through the Bluetooth system and I thanked everything holy for it.

"Hey Trin, what's up?" I asked my friend.

"What is all of this chatter that I'm hearing about you going on a date with Joe? Why the hell didn't you tell me?" she demanded.